DSK Round Two - Sta...

DSK Round Two - Start at Surplus or Maintainence?  

RSS

camdenscott
(@camdenscott)
Eminent Member Registered
07/03/2019 7:32 am  

Hi all,

I am planning on starting my second round of DSK on April 1.

I am 6'1", 174 lbs, and I've been at a surplus for awhile. I was eating 2300 cals the first week of the  year, and went up 50 cals/week to where I am currently eating 2800. The calculator on Robert's site estimates my TDEE at 2682 calories. When I start cutting do you think I should start titrating down from the amount I'm currently eating, or from maintainence? Either way, I'm super glad to be starting at a significantly higher place than where I started round one (1800cals).

AbbyBK (IG @ketokeuhnnutrition )
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
07/03/2019 5:51 pm  

Are you currently gaining weight? Also, what's your current plan on what you are doing right now? I forget your IG handle right now to remind myself on there. 

I know for sure that I would not just your calories in April to eat at your maintenance calories an online calculator says. For when I started again 6 days ago, I started at the calories I was currently eating (I was not gaining or losing). Actually, in fact, I started to increase my calories before March. 

ReplyQuote
camdenscott
(@camdenscott)
Eminent Member Registered
10/03/2019 7:24 am  

Now that I look back, I see that I actually started out the year at 2500 calories. I guess I've been doing something similar to onboarding and going up about 50 cals a week. Currenly I'm sitting at about 2900 and doing hour-long resistance training and cardio sessions 3x a week. Since I was coming off being pretty loose around the holidays, I lost 3-4 lbs in the first few weeks, then started to slowly gain weight and am now 3-4 lbs heavier than when I started this year. Looking at my measurements, I know that some of that is muscle, but some of it is probably fat too. As I've gotten further into the year I've started to take some weekends off from tracking and have consumed a lot of calories on those weekends.

At this point I guess I'm probably going to stay at 3000 calories for a couple weeks once I hit it and then start DSK from there? I just wasn't sure if there was an agreed-upon rule of thumb for where to start a cut after a muscle-building phase. One the one hand it makes sense to me to just start from where I've been eating since that's what my body is used to, but on the other hand I know we were told to use the "induction phase" macros on the Keto Savage calculator the first time I did DSK. Thing is that would be a 900 calorie drop from from where I am right now which would be quite extreme!

Oh and the IG is @ketofitcam !

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK (IG @ketokeuhnnutrition )
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
12/03/2019 8:03 pm  

With where you are now and then come April, I would start at the calories you are then, as I'm thinking they will stay high like they are now. 

For using Robert's calculator, I believe they had us use that for if we had no idea what calories we were eating. Using those calculators are only a starting point to give you some idea. Not an end all be all. You have currently changed your metabolism to be able to eat higher calories than before.  You are correct in that you would not want to just drop 900 calories just like that. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register