Gym PT pushing carb...

Gym PT pushing carbs for 'Energy', 'Performance' and 'Recovery'  

RSS

Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
13/06/2019 7:46 pm  

I've recently joined my local gym. I figured it was about time I added in some movement to my DSK journey. (offboarding now)
The gym has a nice mix of machines and free weights, plus some group classes if I ever get there during the manned hours.

I last trained in 2014-ish, so I signed up for an 'assessment' to get help formulating a program, so I can start building some muscles. 
Yay for more muscles!

Anyway, I dropped in this morning, met the guy, and as soon as nutrition came up, I was transparent about how I was eating/supplementing, and so began the 'carb' push. 

Is there anything else I have to do, beyond the DSK protocol to help with my 'Energy', 'Performance' and 'Recovery'?

I'll keep increasing my calories, as part of my offboarding, and keep an eye on how I feel, sleep heaps to help my muscles grow...

Should I keep an eye out for anything else in particular? Things I should do? Things I should not do? All tips, hints, advice and suggestions welcome. 

- Fiona

Jonathan Shane ( IG: @theketoroad )
(@theketoroad)
Estimable Member Admin
14/06/2019 12:02 pm  

Hey @fiona ! So that is very typical of them. As a former gym trainer, I know that most dont know much about nutriton and jsut the physical side of a weightloss journey. What they do know is typical "bro science".

Being as fat adapted as you are, your body is very effecient for making its own glucose and glycogen to fuel workouts. 

There only 2 things I would encourage you to do-

1. Eat lots of red meat.  It will give you the most bang for you buck when it comes to performance in the gym. Not just because its a clean fat and protein source but it also contains creatine which helps with weight lifting quite a bit. 

2. Dont skimp on the salt pre-workout. This a giving on a keto diet but just be aware that salt helps with blood flow and muscle contraction.

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
15/06/2019 7:06 pm  

Thanks @theketoroad

I've gotten a DEXA scan yesterday, as a BEFORE snapshot of my muscle building journey, as to conclude the 'downward portion' of DSK. It states that I have a particular LEAN MASS volume, and I've read on a few keto and training websites that getting a set ratio of protein of 1.0g per pound of lean mass is key to keeping/building muscle... 

Do you put much credence into this kind of statement?

This week my macros are 10C, 147F, 75P, for a total of 1663 calories.
So I'm sitting around 30g per day below what that calculation would recommend. 

Should I shift my protein up to meet this goal? Or recalculate my macros using the calculator here: http://ketosavage.com/keto-macro-calculator/ (and use the LEAN MASS GAIN numbers from here on out?)

I popped my info in and it gave me these macros straight outta the box:
30C, 121P, 202F

So once I sneak back down the carbs to under 20g (like the comment box suggests,) I get these macros:
20C, 131P, 202F

So I off board my way up to these values?

Or would you suggest a different course of action?

- Fiona

PS. Do you - or anyone else here in DSK world, offer training/coaching/nutrition help?

This post was modified 3 months ago by Fiona

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
15/06/2019 7:20 pm  

I'm also currently eating OMAD, do I need to change this if I train? Does nutrient timing matter as much as "bro-science" would have me believe? (Or am I OK to keep eating in the evenings after I train?)

My day often runs like this: 

Wake up > Work > Errands > Training > Eat > Sleep

So I train fasted, but then eat ALL of my food within 15-30min after I train, depending on cook/prep time, then head to bed to sleep. 

When would you suggest I add my 'salt' into that mix? Currently, I'm getting my sodium in with my dinner as table salt (along with my potassium/magnesium supplements).

I've had some not so great 'salt flush' moments digestively, so want to be careful about going overboard before I go out into public! No one needs any squat accidents.

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
(@theketoroad)
Estimable Member Admin
18/06/2019 12:12 pm  

@fiona meal timing is not as important as "bro science" would tell you. Your schedule is just fine. I would just a have a little salt pre workout. About 1/4 a tsp is plenty. 

ReplyQuote
(@theketoroad)
Estimable Member Admin
18/06/2019 12:15 pm  

@fiona to answer your protein question. Anything above .7g per lb of lean mass is plenty but 1g is better. The numbers you calculated dont seem off but remember you have to think about the amount of activity you are doing in retrospect to that caloric amount.  I would slowly increase to them and have a coach or someone watch them with you so that you can figure out exactly where you need to be. Your body in a ketogenic state can grow plenty even if its not at the highest calories it should get to. So take your time to minimize fat gain.

Yes I do 1 on 1 Nutrition coaching. I help with these forums but my main job with this company is coaching people 1 on 1. If you would like, you can email me at theketoroad@gmail.com to discuss it more. 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Jonathan Shane ( IG: @theketoroad )

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
18/06/2019 7:01 pm  

@theketoroad I'll add the 1/4 teaspoon of salt into the mix, pre-workout, to help with blood flow and muscle contraction. 

I'm taking my time to increase my calories, via the offboarding protocol and timing/ratios, 4% increase in P + F per week, while I work out what programming I'll be following in the gym. So will work up to the 1g per pound of protein. While going slowly and while I continue watching everything daily in my tracking spreadsheet. 

Will email you to find out more about coaching options. 

- Fiona

Share:

Please Login or Register