How Do You Cook Bacon? (So You Eat The Fat)  

RSS

Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
11/10/2018 1:08 am  

How do you cook bacon? 

I want to cook my "streaky bacon" in a way that I get to keep all the FAT in the strip so I can snack on it via chewing. 

(I'm Aussie and that's what we call the bacon you guys are all posting on Instagram, giving me the 'drools' in anticipation)

How do you make it crisp? 

Without shrinking it beyond belief without the fat rendered off in the pan/tray/device? I've attached an example Google image of what normally happens to me. 

I want to enjoy my fatty'n'crispy bacon, without having to drink the rendered fat as a shot/chaser.

Got any tips? Articles? Videos? I need help. 

- Fiona

Topic Tags
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
11/10/2018 6:57 pm  

Before DSK, I would cook bacon in the oven and oh how I've missed it. Whenever I've cooked it in the oven, there is always some leftover fat in the pan. I mean you can still have bacon on DSK, but you have to account for the leftover fat.

When I did have bacon on DSK, I would get the precooked stuff. If I had to cook my own bacon, it was on the stove and then I soaked up the extra fat with eggs or some mushrooms. Mushrooms were a go to for me to pick up fat in a pan. I actually did that tonight. 

I ended up picking up bacon tonight that I might put into a casserole. Yet, you are not wanting this. 

Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
11/10/2018 10:03 pm  

@abbyb1885

'Some' leftover oil I can handle. Giant puddles of the stuff, downed like a shot of liquor, doesn't work for me digestively, so I think the 'mix it with eggs' strategy could work. Fluffy, creamy, bacon-fatty eggs sound super tasty. 

I haven't yet found pre-cooked bacon in Australia, so I'm left to cook it myself. 

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
13/10/2018 12:21 am  

I tried this way today... 6 more days this week to perfect my method

http://baconmethod.com/

- Fiona

AbbyBK liked
ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
14/10/2018 7:52 pm  

Sounds like a great way, if you had the fat in the pan too. 🙂

I recently saw someone do this way on Instagram or something very similarly. She wasn't DSK though. The result was perfection though, from what I could tell. 

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
15/10/2018 8:46 pm  

@abbyb1885

It has been brilliant for me. 

I just need to remember to take it out just as my timer hits 20 min, or I end up with tiny shrunken, super dark bark-like bacon.

Plus any longer than 20min pretty much ALL of the fat is rendering off, but that was OK last night, as I'm getting better at mixing it through my eggs. Low and slow scrambled eggs, sucks up much more oil that fast and hot.

- Fiona

Share:

Working

Please Login or Register