Meal planning help!  

RSS

beckybataller
(@beckybataller)
New Member Enrolled
20/07/2018 12:59 pm  

I just purchased the DSK program this week and plan to start it next week. I have been tracking my macros this week as I've never really tracked my food before and wanted to get used to the tracking (which has been a bit eye-opening!).  I would like to start planning my meals for next week, but am a bit unsure of how to proceed.  I was just wondering from folks who have gone through the course how you planned your week?  Do you typically try to stick to similar foods to make it easy (I think this would get pretty boring after a while). I am a bit unsure of how to plan my meals down to the last gram... totally new to me.  Anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Any suggestions for getting relatively small amounts of protein/fat in at the end of the day if needed.

Favorite foods/recipes?

Thanks all!

This topic was modified 8 months ago by beckybataller

AnnaMHC
(@annamhc)
Trusted Member Registered
20/07/2018 1:50 pm  

@beckybataller

I’m brand new too so I’m curious to hear others responses. I haven’t started yet and I am still working on meal planning. From what I’ve learned so far folks strategies seem to be the following:

Planning everything ahead of time 

Eating the same meals each day for the week 

Keeping meals very simple (i.e. combining meat, butter, cheese) as opposed to more elaborate recipes (I’m fighting that one 😊)

Adjusting those meals slightly the following week based on the minor macros changes

Using fat bombs to adjust fat if you are under 

But I defer to those who have actually done this! 

Anna

ReplyQuote
Stephil
(@stephil)
Eminent Member Registered
20/07/2018 3:30 pm  

For the first few weeks I stuck to the same breakfast (fatty drinks) and lunch and then changed up dinner but it got too time consuming to plan out 7 different dinners for each week's macros. I found that if I was eating foods I enjoy, eating the same thing every day for a week was quite enjoyable. Sunday I would write down my macros, plug in the foods I wanted and then create fat bombs for the extra macros I had left. I created an excel spreadsheet that I used to type in my macros for each meal and my goal macros for the week and play around with everything until I got it right. I found this easier than using myfitnesspal for meal planning.

For those pesky extra fat grams you can add a bit extra butter, heavy cream, etc. to meals by measuring in grams. For extra protein you could add protein powder (I'd make protein fat bombs with coconut oil and protein powder and use the exact amount needed to hit my daily goal), collagen, deli meat, etc.

The first few weeks will be the hardest with planning but as you get used to it, it will become easier. I planned my last week of DSK food in less than 20 minutes.

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
Reputable Member Moderator
20/07/2018 3:55 pm  

Some things that I did/do (Currently in phase 3)

At the start, I did some bulk meals and ate them during the week for either lunch or dinner. Eventually, I did get tired of the same thing, so I only did them for a 3 day span or so of the same meal. I didn't waste the food though even though I didn't want it. haha

Since day 1, most of my breakfasts were butter with 2 Tablespoons of butter. I also like hot dogs and sausage. So I had a lot of that kind of stuff. I really like the Teton sausages that you can get at Costco. I also like the precooked shredded pork from that store. In the last month or so, I started to eat a lot of eggs for meals. Eggs and butter. 

Another meal idea that I did was to cook ground beef and add things to it. You could do tacos, or make it an Italian flavor dish or something else. 

For weighing things out I used the weight of the raw meat and used those macros. If I did a pound of beef, I figured out the nutrition of that pound. If I had it in 4 days, I would then weigh the cooked food and divide that by 4 and put it in 4 separate containers. Or you could just keep it in one container and weight it out each day with the math that you figured out from the previous day.  I'd then take the nutrition of that one pound and divide by 4 for each macro.

Also, Anna touched on things I did/do. I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting right now, but that's what in my head for now. 🙂

OH one site that I love and use is:  http://nutritiondata.self.com

This post was modified 8 months ago 2 times by AbbyBK

808Alex liked
ReplyQuote
hanzelyclan
(@hanzelyclan)
Active Member Enrolled
22/07/2018 7:43 pm  

My best advice is to make sure you PLAN ahead.  It's a challenge at first but like others have said once you find things you like to eat within your Macros it becomes easier to plan future meals.  I have become a fan of "snack plates" for lunch.  Pepperoni and/or Salami with Cheese and a dipping side of mustard and mayo.  Egg Salad has saved me MANY times when I need something quick.  I always tend to have hard boiled eggs in my fridge ready for quick protein.  For dinner I have made so many "different kinds" of burgers it's almost become a game.  Jalapeno cheddar, Swiss Mushroom, Pesto and Mayo, Siracha and Blue Cheese dressing, so many options!!! This makes your burger new every time  😀  😀 

Good Luck to all who are about to begin the DSK journey!!

~Stacy

ReplyQuote
beckybataller
(@beckybataller)
New Member Enrolled
23/07/2018 9:29 am  

Thanks all for the great tips and ideas!  Today is day 1 for me and I'm excited to start the program. I've been doing some planning and purchased some things that I hope will make this easy (tinned sardines, almond yogurt, pili nuts...). I love the idea of egg salad and a burger of the day kind of thing, which I enjoy.   I look forward to getting to know folks in the community as well!

ReplyQuote
Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
25/07/2018 9:49 pm  
Posted by: beckybataller

I just purchased the DSK program this week and plan to start it next week. I have been tracking my macros this week as I've never really tracked my food before and wanted to get used to the tracking (which has been a bit eye-opening!).  I would like to start planning my meals for next week, but am a bit unsure of how to proceed.  I was just wondering from folks who have gone through the course how you planned your week?  Do you typically try to stick to similar foods to make it easy (I think this would get pretty boring after a while). I am a bit unsure of how to plan my meals down to the last gram... totally new to me.  Anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Any suggestions for getting relatively small amounts of protein/fat in at the end of the day if needed.

Favorite foods/recipes?

Thanks all!

The things that work the best on this protocol are hitting your macros, water and electrolytes daily. To do this it's not difficult but does take some planning. I go OMAD  (one meal a day) at around 8-9 PM and I have a fatty tea around 12-1 PM. This to me works for a couple reasons, one it allows for freedom in eating meals instead of eating at 9,12, 5. then dessert. It breaks that cycle. And 2 it allows me to go to bed on a full stomach, which I like.

I would suggest planning meals that are easy to prepare, easy to track and those things will equal success on this protocol. IMO there's no reason to make extravagant meals on DSK, keep it simple. I do eat the same week until my macros until the change the following week, it just keeps things simple for me. You can do it any way you wanna do it as long as it hits your macros.

Stick with 80/20 burger, hard cheese, eggs, bacon, sausage, Coconut Oil, MCT Oil, butter etc simple things that are east to track.

This post was modified 8 months ago by Max Havoc

ReplyQuote
KetoKaiser
(@ketokaiser)
Trusted Member Enrolled
26/07/2018 2:59 am  

I haven't gone through dsk yet, but have been keto for about 2 years. Macros are important and sometimes you just don't want to stress about every little food detail. My plan for when I start (which I have applied before) is to food prep for week days. It will be the same thing all week, but I won't have to think about it. Im hungry, I can have this! Problem solved! 🙂

Weekends I can have something a little different when I have more time to plan out my food and macros. Then Sunday, meal prep for the next week again. Same foods if I feel like it, slight variation, or all new stuff.....but all within the macros I have chosen. 

I work a lot of hours, so this works well for me, but I can understand wanting variety too. Even planning a few days at a time might make it less stressful for you too, while still keeping you on plan.

AnnaMHC liked
ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
Honorable Member Moderator
26/07/2018 12:16 pm  

Great ideas on how to  make all of this work!!  😀 😀 Love this!!  😍 

I started out wanting variety too, cause I love kitchen experimenting, but I found that it was too hard to keep up with it all!  I dropped all that & now meal prep for OMAD every day, & fatty drinks in the afternoon.  I pretty much eat about the same everyday, (tea, butter, HWC, 80/20 ground beef, cheese, eggs, primal kitchen mayo, cacao butter, etc.) with slight adjustments for the weekly macro changes.  Gee that sounds like Max, cause it was Max  who taught me this!!!!  Thanks Max!!!  😀 Different strokes for different folks though, so if you do it differently or find something else easier, please let us know!! 😀  😀  😀 All the best to you all!!! 😀  😀  😀  😀 

ReplyQuote
kbk3
 kbk3
(@kbk3)
Active Member Enrolled
26/07/2018 1:49 pm  

I agree with everyone else as well.  I am currently onboarding for a second round.  Keep it simple and plan ahead.  Pili Nuts from PiliNutHunters are an amazing high fat lower protein/carb filler for me.  I stuck to one meal a day for the most part during the week and did two meals on weekends.  Good luck to you, I am sure you will do well.  This protocol really works!  😊 

Natashawalters06
(@natashawalters06)
New Member Enrolled
16/02/2019 8:26 pm  

I stick to one meal prep plan for at least 2 weeks before adapting a new plan. I usually prep on Sun for Mon-Thu and on Thu for Fri-Sun. I’m that kind of person who keeps having my favorite food without getting tired of it! My favorite food is chicken so I tried to vary my chicken routine with many healthy chicken recipes I find on the internet. I tried allrecipes, healthykitchen101, goodfood, ect.

My best advice is to try a lot until you can finalize your prep routine. Keep preping and eating your favorite food until you master them and then move on to another routine.

Ironman Keto Ken
(@ken)
Eminent Member Enrolled
21/02/2019 4:21 am  

Smart damn I never realized how much protein bacon has and how many sneaky carbs there are.

Jonathan Shane ( IG: @theketoroad )
(@theketoroad)
Estimable Member Admin
21/02/2019 7:40 am  

Yeah @ken its crazy! Thats one thing I truly do enjoy about this way of eating is that it makes you so much more aware of the little details about your food 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register