Recipe nutritional calculator?  

RSS

808Alex
(@farnsworth911)
Active Member Enrolled
08/08/2018 1:52 pm  

How can how do I break a recipe into macros?  I get the obvious (plug in ingredient and it’s macros) but from there how do calculate per serving size and how much a serving size is?  

ReplyQuote
Christos (IG: @christosketo)
(@christosfl81)
Honorable Member Admin
08/08/2018 2:03 pm  

It really depends on the recipe.  One example is I am making a  Sausage, Spinach, Cheese egg bake this evening. I input all raw ingredients into my tracker ( I use mymacros+).  

I then either know how many servings I want or play around to give me the macro ratios I want. 

When  I am done cooking it I typically weight it and divide the number of servings I want. So if it weight 100 ounces in total I would divide by the servings I wanted and know what each serving size is. Of course this is for solids, for liquids it is a tad different but I use this principle for any recipe I do. 

I hope this helps. 

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
Honorable Member Moderator
08/08/2018 5:46 pm  

@farnsworth911  Hello!!  I do just what Christos does!! 😀  😀   But to give you an example, I'll show you the ingredients in my fat bomb dessert which makes 2 servings for me.  I enter the ingredients into My fitness Pal.  & divide by 2!  It is attached below.  😊 I melt the ingredients together & weigh it then divide it in half into two serving cups & then refrigerate it.  I think it is tasty!!  I hope this example is helpful!!  All the best to you!!! 😀  😀  😀  😀 

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
08/08/2018 6:34 pm  
Posted by: judylove

@farnsworth911  Hello!!  I do just what Christos does!! 😀  😀   But to give you an example, I'll show you the ingredients in my fat bomb dessert which makes 2 servings for me.  I enter the ingredients into My fitness Pal.  & divide by 2!  It is attached below.  😊 I melt the ingredients together & weigh it then divide it in half into two serving cups & then refrigerate it.  I think it is tasty!!  I hope this example is helpful!!  All the best to you!!! 😀  😀  😀  😀 

That recipe sounds amazing! I'm so making this. I'm thinking for camping next week. I currently don't have mascarpone anymore but I do have cream cheese. I shall try that. 

ReplyQuote
Christos (IG: @christosketo)
(@christosfl81)
Honorable Member Admin
08/08/2018 6:40 pm  

@judylove 

there is one difference , huge difference... your recipe would never be two servings for me  lol 

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
08/08/2018 7:10 pm  

@christosfl81  I wish I could say it is just 1 serving!!! 🤣  🤣 LOL 🤣  🤣 

ReplyQuote
808Alex
(@farnsworth911)
Active Member Enrolled
08/08/2018 7:29 pm  

All very helpful.  It’s a pain in the butt, that’s why I have been sticking to things i can manage independently.  I was hoping there was an app that would do it for me.  But I had to make some fat bombs to help me squeeze in fat/calories with little to none protein and carbs....so time to calculate.   🤓  🤓 

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
08/08/2018 7:43 pm  

@abbyb1885  I've used cream cheese with this too, it is 1 ounce of cream cheese per serving, (i.e. 2 oz in this recipe).  Melt your cacao butter, whip in the cheese, & a dash of liquid  monkfruit if you want.  I sometimes skip the monfruit & it is still yummy!!  When  I have extra macros I top it with macadamia nuts!!  He is a pic!! Yum!!

This post was modified 4 months  ago by judylove

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
08/08/2018 8:00 pm  

@farnsworth911  I get it!!  It can feel like that at first.  But after a while you'll get more used to doing this, tracking all your macros, having go-to recipes you like to use, eating simple healthy foods, & it is a great habit to get into.  😉

Yes!!  👍 Eating clean & simple will help you, & it is easy to track!!  Hence why I love HB eggs, Primal kitchen mayo – Chipotle Lime, 80/20 or 73/27 burger, butter - Kerry Gold, various full fat cheeses - Kerry Gold, Boursin  & Bel Gioioso  are favorites, olives, cacao butter - Terrasoul,  Teton Waters Ranch sausage cooked in Duck fat – Fat Works  or Ghee – 4th & Heart,Bone broth – Kettle & Fire, Macadamia nut milk --Milkadamia .  😋 These are all things that are easy to track & I loved some of them to start & some I've learned to love!!   😊 

Hang in there!!  From my experience this got easier as time went on!!  All the best to you!!! 😀  😀  😀  😀 

Mona liked
ReplyQuote
808Alex
(@farnsworth911)
Active Member Enrolled
09/08/2018 9:43 am  

All in my fridge right now....with the exception of Mac milk which I have not found yet.  I got the calculation down, made another fat bomb recipe this morning 😊

you guys are worth the price of admission, I’m gaining confidence daily, much mahalos

AbbyBK liked
ReplyQuote
Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
09/08/2018 12:06 pm  
Posted by: 808Alex

All in my fridge right now....with the exception of Mac milk which I have not found yet.  I got the calculation down, made another fat bomb recipe this morning 😊

you guys are worth the price of admission, I’m gaining confidence daily, much mahalos

Yeah Judy's a champ for sure... 😍  😍  😍 

And it's great to hear your gaining confidence in your food choices and with the program. The more you do it the easier it will become and before you know it, it will become second nature to you.

All the best going forward 

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
09/08/2018 7:51 pm  

@farnsworth911  Hello Again!!  Thank-you so much!! & Thank-you @max-havoc!! 😀  😀  😀  😀 

I am so glad you found that helpful!!  😊 😊

Macadamia nut milk --by Milkadamia - It is delicious IMO!! 😋  You can drink it plain or mix it with your favorite unsweetened 0 carb protein powder (I like Isopure).  Our local Guido's Health Foods carries Milkadamia, but you can also get it online at Amazon too.  They do have a store locator that shows which stores in your area carry it here:    http://www.milkadamia.com/store-locator/      

Just enter your zip code & see if a grocer near you carries it.

I know you are gonna be great at this!!  Soon you will be calculating & planning your macros like an expert!!!  When this becomes 2nd nature, you'll be explaining this to other new DSK folks & maybe even writing your own app for others to do this easier!! 😀 😀   I couldn't as I'm technologically deficient!!LOL 🤣  🤣  🤣 Hee Hee!!

All the best to you!!! 😀  😀  😀  😀 

This post was modified 4 months  ago by judylove

ReplyQuote
angala.parsons
(@angala-parsons)
Active Member Enrolled
10/08/2018 7:43 am  
Posted by: 808Alex

How can how do I break a recipe into macros?  I get the obvious (plug in ingredient and it’s macros) but from there how do calculate per serving size and how much a serving size is?  

I have found that on the lap top version of my fitness pal there is a recipe tab, from there I can either import a recipe or just plug in my own ingredients and serving sizes. I find this very helpful in phase one when a craving hits and I needs to fit it into my macros. On my phone app which I synced with my laptop I can visit the pie chart to make sure I am hitting exactly what I need.

~*Out of suffering have emerged the strongest of souls; the most massive of characters are seared with scars*~

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
11/08/2018 10:36 am  

@angala-parsons  Thank-you Angala!! 😊 😊 We learn something new everyday!!  😀 I just added my recipe to the MFP database, & it did calculate out the macros accurately!!!  Awesome to know, & this will save a lot of time!!!  😉  That recipe is attached below & is now listed in My Fitness Pal as :"Keto Cacao butter marscapone dessert".  Enjoy!!!! 😀  😀  😀  😀 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register