Removing meat bones after cooking  

RSS

fitnessbex
(@fitnessbec)
Eminent Member Enrolled
17/08/2018 11:29 am  

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it's a good idea after eating chicken thighs, wings, lamb /pork chops etc to deduct the weight of the bones from the cooked weight so as to get a more accurate measurement of protein consumed?  

😜

ReplyQuote
AndyC (IG: @TheKetoneKid)
(@ig-theketonekid)
Active Member Enrolled
17/08/2018 3:21 pm  

I have taken the approach of just picking/cutting everything off of the bone first, then weighing it, then tracking it (in MFP).   I guess I do look kind of strange stripping my chicken wings of meat, but it is the only way to be accurate/consistent! 

Andy

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
17/08/2018 4:47 pm  

While doing this program, I avoided foods that came with bones, it wasn't accurate enough for my liking. However, I would not count the weight of the bones for tracking your macros. 

I think the best course of action would be to weigh the meat before you cook it, then weigh it after it's cooked. Then figure out how much the bones weigh. 

Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
18/08/2018 1:17 pm  
Posted by: fitnessbex

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it's a good idea after eating chicken thighs, wings, lamb /pork chops etc to deduct the weight of the bones from the cooked weight so as to get a more accurate measurement of protein consumed?  

😜

Like Abby I would encourage people to avoid foods that aren't easy to track steak, wings etc and yes this is just my personal opinion as I'm a big believer in easy to prepare and easy to track means success on DSK.

With that being said if I was gonna have chicken wings or thighs or anything with a bone in it I would go with Abby's method and weight it raw and then cooked and then figure out how much the bones weigh. But IMO it's just easier and more accurate to eat burgers, bacon, eggs, sausage etc.

But if your gonna do it just make sure you do it the same way every single time the exact same way as consistency is king on DSK.

AbbyBK liked
ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
Honorable Member Moderator
18/08/2018 7:46 pm  

@fitnessbec  Totally agree with Max & Abby, 😀   As there are plenty of choices to pick without having to worry about meat with bones.  Accuracy & consistency will be your friend here on DSK.  But if you must, Abby's method is a good one! 😀 😀  

AbbyBK liked
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Shane ( IG: @theketoroad )
(@theketoroad)
Trusted Member Admin
02/09/2018 7:44 am  

I agree with @abbyb1885 method. Being in competition prep I had to be very accurate with my measurements so if I had a bone in meat for a meal I would plan ahead holding some of my protein for after the meal just in case the bones were not as heavy as I thought. 

Cooking thing weighing the bones is by far the beat method. That being said it is a gamble because you never really know how much the bones weigh , so if you can get away with sticking to already de-boned chicken thighs for your fatty chicken cuts that would be best for sure!

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register