[Closed] Magnesium  

RSS

a_raygo
(@a_raygo)
Eminent Member Enrolled
01/05/2018 7:10 pm  

Does anyone have a type of magnesium they recommend? I currently take citrate and it is causing GI issues. Tried to look online but still confused as to what would be best with keto. Thanks!

Christos (IG: @christosketo)
(@christosfl81)
Honorable Member Admin
01/05/2018 7:35 pm  

I get a my magnesium from my electrolyte powder and A magnesium supplement

Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
02/05/2018 3:46 pm  

@a_raygo Any reputable brand is good, I would make sure it's 100 % Chelated Magnesium.I use to use Doctors Best High Absorption 100 % Chelated Magnesium and there magnesium glycinate / lysinate chelate.

And the reason you might be having issues with it is probably due to the extra water it causes you to hold in the intestines.And also it's often used for constipation, which would again explain the stomach issues.

Hope this helps you out 🙂

a_raygo
(@a_raygo)
Eminent Member Enrolled
02/05/2018 4:02 pm  

Thank you, very helpful 🙂

Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
02/05/2018 4:04 pm  

@a_raygo Anytime 🙂

latino_ketoer
(@robotz40)
Trusted Member Enrolled

Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
04/05/2018 1:38 pm  

I used Natural Calm for a long time and liked it, but then they came out with other supplements that I liked better..Chelated Magnesium. But Natural calm is a really solid product, just be careful as it may also have a laxative effect as it's got Magnesium Citrate in it. And may also cause you to hold water in the intestines. But if you take it before bed I know it helps a lot of people sleep and they find it relaxing, that's why they call it Natural Calm I guess.

raraavisberlin
(@raraavisberlin)
Eminent Member Registered
04/05/2018 3:50 pm  

@a_raygo
I too, use a magnesium citrate/bisglycinate mix. It‘s what I‘ve heard people recommend for maximal absorption.
If you’re not expressively taking it to help you sleep, try splitting the daily dose and take it with (after) meals. There’s a reason, that’s often recommend with supplements/drugs...it’s much easier on the stomach/intestines if they aren’t hit by the pure substance alone and all at ones.
And with meals as low in fiber and such as what we’re currently eating, you should still absorb it just fine.
Also: you can actually buy these substances by the pound (on Amazon or Iherb) and for way less money than they cost as tablets or electrolyte powders. I just sprinkle them on my food or mix it in my salad dressing. Just saying 😎

a_raygo
(@a_raygo)
Eminent Member Enrolled
04/05/2018 6:07 pm  

Thanks so much everyone! Very informative.

Sari C
(@sara-condon)
Eminent Member Enrolled
30/05/2018 11:09 am  

@a_raygo have you found one you like.  I agree with the cleated.  the element its cleated with will be different depending on you target issues.  My primary issue is leg cramping and twitching. 2nd depression & mental function. 

I was using the glycinate form, but it was causing me digestive problems (this form is doesn't generally do that, but I can't handle it)  .  I'm returning to the malate form.  My stomach can handle this form, but I have to take more to be effective, and I hate pills.

judylove
(@judylove)
Honorable Member Moderator
01/06/2018 12:17 am  

Yes, the chelated magnesium is better because when minerals like magnesium are chelated, (bonded to an organic compound, vs an amino acid)  they are more likely to survive the passage from the stomach to the small intestines intact.  Therefore, they get better absorbed than other forms of magnesium.   Glad you found a good form to take that doesn't give you digestive troubles!!  😀  😀 

Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
01/06/2018 10:21 am  

Magnesium Bisglycinate is really good. It's 100 % chelated to the Amino Acid Glycine and chelation helps protect the Magnesium until it reaches the lower intestines where minerals are absorbed optimally. And Bisglycinate is better than  Magnesium Glycinate as it's gentler on the stomach without the laxative effect. 

Also Doctors best in the powder form is solid but your milage may vary.

flrusso
(@flrusso)
Active Member Enrolled
07/06/2018 3:46 pm  

I use transdermal magnesium because anything taken in pill form gave me horrendous stomach issues...I make my own oil from distilled water & magnesium chloride flakes.  I spray it all over my torso before bed & anywhere that I have some aches & pains.

Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
08/06/2018 2:01 pm  
Posted by: flrusso

I use transdermal magnesium because anything taken in pill form gave me horrendous stomach issues...I make my own oil from distilled water & magnesium chloride flakes.  I spray it all over my torso before bed & anywhere that I have some aches & pains.

@flussro

Glad to hear you found a work around to get your Magnesium in. Just curious did you try a Bisglycinate formula that was chelated and bonded to Glycine ?

Share:

Working

Please Login or Register