Recommended electrolytes  

RSS

Mona
 Mona
(@smracico)
Active Member Registered
12/08/2018 6:48 am  

how much sodium, potassium and magnesium is recommended daily? 

Should I  increase electrolytes if I’m sweating a lot through exercise? 

ReplyQuote
Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
12/08/2018 3:58 pm  
Posted by: Mona

Hey Mona,

The recommended electrolytes are as follows...

Sodium ( Pink Himalayan Salt ) 3000-5000 mg daily so you'll have to look on the container and see how many mg of salt are in your and weigh it out in a little tupperware container each day and then when your container is empty you've got your sodium in for the day.

Potassium - 1500-2500 mg daily 

Magnesium- 400-500 mg a day possibly more if you have digestive issues. But don't get crazy on this as it will work as a laxative if your amounts get really high but were talking above 1000 mg a day.

I use and have recommended a brand called BIO Schwartz it's Magnesium Bisglycinate and it's 100 % chelated and not buffered. The caps are tiny and it's 200 mg per capsule. They are bonded with the amino acid glycine and they will stay together until they reach your lower intestine where all the absorption happens. You can find them on Amazon but they are a really solid product at a good price.

Along with these electrolytes I would also take a keep supplement so you get your iodine in as we need at least 150 mcg (micro grams) a day and pink salt is stripped of it, so you can either get some plain white iodized salt and throw that in with your pink or get a kelp supplement and be done with it.

Again I use one called Natures Way Kelp off Amazon and it has 300 mcg of iodine, 35 mg of sodium and 600 mg of kelp. IMO it's the way to go, I take 1 capsule a day and I know my bases are covered for my iodine as it's really important for the human body.

And make sure your getting your water in along with your electrolytes.

Hope this helps you out and if you have any more questions please let us know.

This post was modified 4 months  ago by Max Havoc

camdenscott and Mona liked
ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
12/08/2018 4:16 pm  

Question for you, have you been keto for awhile or are you newer? 

Everyone is different for how much they need. If you notice that you are not feeling the greatest with your workouts, then move up your dose of electrolytes. People also increase their salt intake just before they workout also to help with energy. I definitely needed more even with being outside in the sun all day and my water intake.  

In Robert's video on phase 1 he recommended to start with (I copied and pasted this, but added my thoughts too): 

1. Sodium (pink salt) - 3000-4000mg (My input: I would measure out your salt daily and have it in a container. This way you can know for sure that you got your sodium in for the day.)
2. Magnesium - 500mg
3. Potassium - 1500-2500mg (Zipfizz and Vega Sport Hydrator) I'll also recommend Dr. Burg's electrolyte mix. I love this stuff more than the Zipfizz because of the sugar alternative Dr. Burg uses and no xylitol as is in Zipfizz. I did use Zipfizz but I'm glad that I don't anymore.

camdenscott and Mona liked
ReplyQuote
Mona
 Mona
(@smracico)
Active Member Registered
12/08/2018 7:24 pm  

@max havoc thanks again!! You’revalways there to help! 😊 so greatly appreciated! 😉

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
Honorable Member Moderator
12/08/2018 8:27 pm  

Yes!!!  Max is awesome!!! 😊  😊 

Mona liked
ReplyQuote
Mona
 Mona
(@smracico)
Active Member Registered
13/08/2018 6:49 am  

I have been keto for  a few months now. I started the DSK in April. I just couldn’t find Robert’s suggestion on daily electrolytes. In just wanted to review my daily dose. 

I might increase my electrolytes before my workouts to increase my energy and rewatch Roberts phase 1 video. 

Thank you for your help! 😊

ReplyQuote
Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
14/08/2018 12:37 pm  

I have been keto for  a few months now. I started the DSK in April. I just couldn’t find Robert’s suggestion on daily electrolytes. In just wanted to review my daily dose. 

I might increase my electrolytes before my workouts to increase my energy and rewatch Roberts phase 1 video. 

Thank you for your help! 😊

That would be a good idea if you're not hitting the recommended numbers for them and feeling it.

And thanks for the compliment it's appreciated as that's what we're here for.

ReplyQuote
Tammie
(@tammie)
Eminent Member Enrolled
20/08/2018 9:13 am  

I have been in Ketosis since May and my leg cramps age getting worse. I am currently on week 3 of Onboarding

I am taking enough Magnesium but am open to a brand recommendation. I have just started on NOW brand Potassium Citrate. (I can not use Zipfizz because it has caffeine and the Vega sports hydration has beets). Again open for brand recommendations.

I have even tried pickle juice and it helps some but I am not a fan.

My food scale does not do mg. can anyone tell me how much 3000 to 5000 mg in either in TBS or oz?

Thanks for any help I can get.

ReplyQuote
Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
25/08/2018 9:58 pm  
Posted by: Tammie

I have been in Ketosis since May and my leg cramps age getting worse. I am currently on week 3 of Onboarding

I am taking enough Magnesium but am open to a brand recommendation. I have just started on NOW brand Potassium Citrate. (I can not use Zipfizz because it has caffeine and the Vega sports hydration has beets). Again open for brand recommendations.

My food scale does not do mg. can anyone tell me how much 3000 to 5000 mg in either in TBS or oz?

Hey Tammie,

A good brand of Magnesium is BIOSchwatz Magnesium Bisglycinate, it's 100 % chelated and the capsules are really tiny, as opposed to the horse pills of most brands and 200 mg per capsule. 

And for Potassium Dr Berg's Electrolyte Drink is excellent, no caffeine or non DSK approved sweetener and 1000 mg of potassium per serving. Both can be found on Amazon.

And I would get a food scale that measures in grams but it also depends on how many mg your salt is, so I would definitely recommend a new scale and weight your sodium out daily and put it in a tupperware container and when it's empty, then you've hit your sodium for the day.

Just as an example my pink salt is 1/4 Tsp = 1g is 416 mg of sodium.

This post was modified 4 months  ago by Max Havoc

KetoKaiser liked
ReplyQuote
KetoKaiser
(@ketokaiser)
Trusted Member Enrolled
26/08/2018 6:54 am  
Posted by: Max Havoc
Posted by: Tammie

Hey Tammie,

A good brand of Magnesium is BIOSchwatz Magnesium Bisglycinate, it's 100 % chelated and the capsules are really tiny, as opposed to the horse pills of most brands and 200 mg per capsule. 

And for Potassium Dr Berg's Electrolyte Drink is excellent, no caffeine or non DSK approved sweetener and 1000 mg of potassium per serving. Both can be found on Amazon.

And I would get a food scale that measures in grams but it also depends on how many mg your salt is, so I would definitely recommend a new scale and weight your sodium out daily and put it in a tupperware container and when it's empty, then you've hit your sodium for the day.

Just as an example my pink salt is 1/4 Tsp = 1g is 416 mg of sodium.

The food scale can be super helpful because really.... 1/4 tsp is very little so when measuring, it really doesn't take much to take more or less without realizing. Lots of room for error.

The pink himalayan I use is 460mg per 1/4 tsp (1.2g), so 3 tsp should be 5520mg of sodium. 3 × 4 = 12 (1/4 tsp) x 1.2g = 14.4g 

Having said the above, I have measured out 3tsp multiple times and had it go as low as 13g (4983mg) and as high as 18g (6900mg). 

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
Honorable Member Moderator
26/08/2018 4:34 pm  

@tammie  Hi Tammie!!  T can ditto Max and Keto Kaiser as I agree with them on the magnesium & salt supplements/scale weighing.  

If you are having persistent leg cramps, & you are taking enough of the recommended supplements, I would look to your hydration, Keto itself can leave you dehydrated, but so can the exercise.  You really need to drink water constantly throughout the day.

In addition to hydration & supplements:

• Forcefully stretching the contracted muscle relieves the pain& most muscle cramps can be stopped if the muscle can be stretched.
  • Numerous medicines can cause muscle cramps.
    • Furosemide (Lasix), hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide), and other diuretics ("water pills") that remove fluid from the body
    • Donepezil (Aricept), used to treat Alzheimer's disease
    • Neostigmine (Prostigmine), used for myasthenia gravis
    • Nifedipine (Procardia), a treatment for angina and high blood pressure
    • Raloxifene (Evista), an osteoporosis treatment
    • Terbutaline (Brethine), albuterol (Proventil and Ventolin), asthma medications
    • Tolcapone (Tasmar), which helps treat Parkinson's disease
    • Statin medications for cholesterol, such as atorvastatin (Lipitor), fluvastatin (Lescol), lovastatin (Mevacor), pravastatin (Pravachol), rosuvastatin (Crestor), or simvastatin (Zocor)
  • Remember to wear properly fitted shoes, poorly fitting shoes can cause cramps.
  • At night leave your blankets and sheets loose around your feet so that toes are not distorted, cause this can cause cramps in the feet & legs.
  • I had these issues in my sleep & in addition to stretching before bed, I rode a stationary bike on full leg extension & it helped.

Good luck with all this!!!  All the best to you!!! 😀  😀  😀  😀 

ReplyQuote
Tammie
(@tammie)
Eminent Member Enrolled
28/08/2018 9:23 am  

Wow! great info on the salt. I will have to get a new scale but I just bought this one  😫 

Thanks for all the information!

I will also make an order on amazon.

Tammie

This post was modified 4 months  ago by Tammie

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register