Protein Threshold or Something Else?  

RSS

AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
25/09/2018 6:24 pm  

Last night I put on some shorts that seemed tighter than they have been since mid offboarding. I thought I would do measurements on myself because of this. (I also remeasured this morning as I know it could vary from the morning to the night as your body weight does). I also had ample sleep as I did not work today and just got up when my body said so.

My stomach (belly button area) is up close to an inch since I started off boarding. My waist (where the crease is) is up only a tiny bit. My thighs are smaller (last nights measurements, did not recheck this AM. er 11 AM haha). All my other measurements are basically the same.

My weight has been up and down during off boarding the last few weeks. It fluctuates¬†between 118 and 120 consistently since the start of this month. I started offboarding on July 6th with the weight of 121.8 and 123 (123 was my highest in this phase). My weight the last 3 days are as follows 120, 119.2, 118.2 (118 was this morning). I also had off from work from all 3 days and a 4th day back, so I wasn't up at 4 am like on work days with less sleep. (I'm a night person at heart even if I know I'm going to get crap sleep. I also know this is bad)The weight fluctuations haven't bothered me because I know it's normal. Just giving more info here. ūüôā

Today I started with new calories of 1743 and last week I was 1674. My current fat percent is at 80% and last week was 80.6. These two weeks were wear I input my own data, as the chart data ended. When I first found my protein threshold in phase 1, I had a fat percentage of 79. (Side note bc I looked at my phase 1 sheet. It boggles my mind every time I look at the weight I was then 143. Thank you so much @keto-savage!) So, I'm currently not at my previous protein threshold.  

I have not really changed how I've been eating in this phase. I have noticed that I have been doing a lot of heavy whipping cream or dairy, but I was also doing this at the start of DSK and I didn't have issues then (to my knowledge). I also sometimes do some romaine lettuce lately but nothing crazy. I have learned that dairy affects how clear or not clear my skin is. I also noticed a slight shoulder inflammation pain increase. I noticed this after I started to have dairy again when I started phase 3. I noticed no other negative side effects. 

My shoulder is sorer lately. HOWEVER, I did have to do some cleaning at work where that did make it worse. Nothing crazy pain like it was when I found my protein threshold in phase 1.

I did develop a cold that started more on Friday, but I don't know if that could even have any effects with this. Just thought I'd throw it in here.

Does anybody else have some insight into this? ūüôā

Jonathan Shane ( IG: @theketoroad )
(@theketoroad)
Trusted Member Admin
25/09/2018 7:14 pm  

@abbyb1885 full personal experience.

ive noticed that Romaine lettuce does make me retain water in the mid section. Why? I have noooo clue.  Your weight is really stable and your at the end stretch of off boarding so experimenting wouldn’t hurt. Perhaps take a couple days and a few days take the lettuce out and leave the cream measuring your waist each day and then vice versa. 

I think it it would be a cool way to get to know your body better and there isn’t a lot of variables so it should be quite easy to control 

judylove liked
ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
29/09/2018 8:53 pm  

Funny story. I relooked at my stomach measurements that I took when I started off boarding. I looked at the number wrong. lol 🤣¬†

I'm only up around 1/2 inch which I'm sure if not a huge deal. It's not the 1.5-2 inches above, which I thought the other day. 

Nice reply though for ideas.¬† 👍¬†

In other news, I'm either upping some of my reps or weights in the gym. ūüôā

Jonathan Shane ( IG: @theketoroad )
(@theketoroad)
Trusted Member Admin
30/09/2018 6:33 am  

@abbyb1885 that’s awesome! Yes the gym for me is a huge measurement of progress! Excited for you! 

judylove liked
ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
Honorable Member Moderator
01/10/2018 7:20 pm  

@abbyb1885¬† Just seeing this now!¬† 😯 Glad you were able to figure the measurement change! 😀¬†

I know certain food intolerance and/or sensitivities can trigger people for all kinds of negative reactions e,g. allergies, water retention, (for some too much salt does it & for me miracle noodles make me retain water). 🙄¬† ¬†You name it, our bodies are so unique!! Doing an elimination diet DSK style is a challenge, but is so worth it.¬† So figuring out which foods/supplements aren't working for us is difficult, but totally doable.¬† ¬†Essentially its making 1 change for a set period of time say 2-3 weeks & slowly re-introducing it to see how your body reacts.¬† Here's an article on how an elimination diet & of¬† course you'd have to edit it for DSK protocol.¬† https://www.precisionnutrition.com/elimination-diet ¬† ¬† ¬† While on DSK I've done tests for no dairy/cheese, no nuts, no caffeine, etc. & I wound up cutting having to cut all the caffeine out & protein powders/supplements with sucralose.¬† 🤨¬†

I love your strategy of working out more reps, stronger, longer, better form, all great things.¬† You go girl!!!!¬† 😊 😊

My workouts are¬† great¬†stress relievers, give me a sense of accomplishment, a guide to my increased strength/ reduced fatigue, & afterwards I feel soooo good!!!¬† I think they are also a factor in my improved focus, alertness, & better cognitive function. You can't go wrong working to improve performance in working out! 🤩 ¬† I hope yours make you feel terrific too my friend!!!¬†¬† 😍¬† 😍¬†

Hang in there Abby, great self observation too!!¬† All that is great stuff in case it comes again!!! 😀¬† 😀¬† 😀¬† 😀¬†

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
01/10/2018 7:57 pm  

Oh, I've tested the dairy and cheese before. Remember my boring first refeed? lol When I brought it back in I did not notice any weight stall or bloating. So there's that. However, I did notice the acne return in time. While I was off basically everything (haha) my skin was super clear. My husband even commented on it. 

I did stop with the extra HWC at night last week I think. At most I did maybe 4-6 Tablespoons of it to make a dessert at night. 

I do want to experiment with taking things out of my diet down the road. Right now, I'm just going to make offboarding more enjoyable and eat the foods that I can on the DSK protocol. ūüôā

As a general update, weight has been the same as I mentioned before. So all is well there.

Also, a weird thing I've noticed with clothing. So I have a few underwear that I've kept when I had gained weight. They fit now again but they don't fit as they should like I keep having to fix them. haha Yet, I weigh less now from when I last had them in 2012. Butt body recomp showing through. haha

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
Honorable Member Moderator
01/10/2018 8:35 pm  

@abbyb1885¬† Oh yes!!!¬† I do remember that!¬† Max was helping you with that!¬† ¬†And you kindly consoled me during my lack of cheese & dairy.¬† Thank-you!! 😊¬†

Have you tried¬†Coconut oil for the acne?¬† I am an oldie goldie, & I still get acne breakouts.¬† 🙄 I've¬† mixed with some essential oils: Orange oil, melaleuca oil (tee tree oil), cinnamon leaf oil,¬†basil oil.¬† But I think it is mainly the coconut oil working cause its high in lauric acid, which helps kill the bacteria that cause acne & moisturize your skin!!¬†¬†It might be worth a try, but then again it could be worse if you have¬†very oily skin.¬† 😊¬†

OMG!!¬† you are too funny!!!¬†¬† 🤣 🤣 I'm picturing your underwear, it sounds like you have a great bootie butt!!¬†¬† 😀¬† It must be your doing some awesome squats! 😀¬†¬†

Woo Hoo for body re-comps!!! 😀¬† 😀¬† 😀¬† 😀¬† 😀¬† 😀 Congrats Abby!!¬† 🤩¬† 🤩¬† 🤩¬† 🤩¬† 🤩¬† 🤩¬†

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
02/10/2018 9:50 am  

@judylove For my face, I used to clean it at night with olive oil and then tried hemp see oil a few years before keto. I also did add tea tree oil with lavender oils. My sister started doing just oil to help get her make off at night and that just also helped with not having to use a lotion after too. So I started doing it but added the oils in. I liked it and I remember noticing the difference. I think I jus got lazy refilling the spray bottle. haha

I do have naturally oily skin on my face, yet we still need moisture there. Using the oil to wash my face did not negatively affect it. I'm sure it helped with not having to overproduce oils and thus causing more problems on my face. Now that I recently learned that coconut oil helps with bacteria and you reminding me now. (When I was getting sick last week, I heard this and looked it up. So I tried just cooconut oil in coffee and liked it. I thought I got better but now I have a semi runny nose. YAY) I'm thinking that I shoud get back into using essential oils and then use coconut oil to clean my face. Also on my arms as well. I get those tiny little bump things (They went away w no dairy).

However, I do know that ideally I should get rid of the cause of my skin problems instead of just trying to cover it up, as that's the best thing for my body. I just know that I'm not ready for that quite yet with offboarding and for my mental health. haha In time, I do plan on testing to see if I can do hard cheeses, as during DSK, I've discovered some new cheeses that are harder and I love them. I also want to see if raw milk cheese doesn't affect me either. 

Share:

Working

Please Login or Register