(@abbyb1885)
Reputable Member Moderator
09/10/2018 8:37 pm  

I'm just curious here, to see who's all in offboarding still. 🙂

kristen_bryant
(@kristen_bryant)
Active Member Enrolled
25/10/2018 3:22 am  

Offboarding is a distant dream for me. It's been 80 days and I'm still in Phase 1. 6 weeks of onboarding combined with an unlimited tolerance for protein = I'mma be on DSK 4evah.....  😶  

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK (IG @ketokeuhnnutrition )
(@abbyb1885)
25/10/2018 9:47 am  

It sounds like you are going to do amazing! Offboarding was also a long distance for me at one time. Slow and steady does it.  👍 

As you go through the course, just keep an eye on those calories too as to make sure to be able to do each phase. I'm sure you may know that though as you did onboarding. So yay for you doing that.  ❤️ 

ReplyQuote
kristen_bryant
(@kristen_bryant)
Active Member Enrolled
26/10/2018 7:14 am  

Calories won't become an issue for me until February 2019. No, really. Going off the assumption that I'll be in Phase I until I hit 65% fat*, and then move to Phase II...in December, got a looooong way to go. I ramped up to 2400 calories in onboarding so .... LOTS of runway to burn.  😀  Interestingly enough, even with onboarding up to 2400 calories, and now being back down to around 1900, my weight has been pretty constant. Sure, there are some daily fluctuations, but the trendline is still mostly flat.

* Background for those who may be saying "65% whut!?" During one of the live Q&A's I explained that I started "low carb" eating 4 years ago and lost 150 pounds. (I don't want to call it "keto" as my fat intake was not very high at the time.) And that recently I went back through MyFitnessPal and was shocked to realize that I was only getting 40-50% of my calories from fat, and was getting at least 40% from protein (some days up to 50%!) with no side effects. None. And that during onboarding I ate 80% fat calories, ALSO with no side effects. So, given that I apparently have a high tolerance for protein, how far should I go in Phase I? I mean....I pictured myself literally just staying in Phase I until I eventually ran out of calories, never to find my protein threshold. Robert said that, given my history: 65% fat should be far enough. So....yeah. Anticipate going to Phase II on December 8, y'all. lol. 

Except this weekend, which is my 55th birthday, so I'mma treat myself, dangit! Cocktails, here I come!  😎  🍸 

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK (IG @ketokeuhnnutrition )
(@abbyb1885)
26/10/2018 12:29 pm  

If you do get to the said 65% fat, what would your calories be at? Also, one thing to keep in mind is even though you may not notice any bad side effects, see if you notice even just a tiny bit of not ideal feeling.

Be careful with those cocktails, try your very best to keep them DSK. Also maybe think about this, why do you want the cocktails? It's strongly not adviced to do this on the program. However, it is ultimately your choice. What kind of cocktails do you usually drink? Maybe we could come up with something that you could do on DSK with no extra carbs or alcohol. 

ReplyQuote
kristen_bryant
(@kristen_bryant)
Active Member Enrolled
29/10/2018 4:11 am  

I'll be at 1749 calories when I hit 65% fat. "Tiny bit of not ideal feeling" doesn't cut it for me.  I rarely feel "ideal". I'm not looking to be doubled over in pain from protein/fat side effects, but there has to be something noticeable over the white noise of normal daily fluctuations.

ReplyQuote
Jonathan Shane ( IG: @theketoroad )
(@theketoroad)
Estimable Member Admin
29/10/2018 12:04 pm  

Hello! @kristen_bryant 

So a little bit of advice I would like to give ( of course its your journey so you do whats best for you) I would not take fats that low regardless if you can handle it or not and for 2 big reasons.

1. Fat efficiency- With your fat ratio being that low, your body is not going to get very adapted to burning it at a high rate which really helps as you lower calories and need more energy etc. 

2. Deep ketosis- The whole point of the DSK program is to get you into a deep state of ketosis. With protein that high you will not be able to achieve a ketogenic state. If you do it will be short lived by the uproar of protein from your next meal.

The last one is muscle loss prevention- Being that high in protein as you lower calories your body will get frantic. You will experience stalls and have issues maintaining muscle as your ketone level wont be that high. This cause BMR issues which make it harder to break a stall. 

My advice- Even if you can go past it I would go into Phase 2 once you hit 75% fat I personally wouldn't let it get lower than that for the long term goals and effects. 

I hope that makes since! Let me know if you have any questions and I would love to hear your response ! 

kristen_bryant
(@kristen_bryant)
Active Member Enrolled
31/10/2018 6:00 am  

The reason I've been saying 65% is because that's what Robert advised during a live DSK Q&A. I didn't pick that number out of my head. And now you're saying 75%. (FYI I'm currently at 71%) I get it, I'm an outlier, my body doesn't seem to care if I'm at 80% fat or 50%...and that's why I asked the question during the live Q&A in the first place. So...more than happy to do what's best, but now my quandry now is whose advice to follow.  😐  

Jonathan Shane ( IG: @theketoroad )
(@theketoroad)
Estimable Member Admin
31/10/2018 10:28 am  

@kristen_bryant Oh okay! I was not aware you had already spoken with Robert about a game plan. I will for sure connect with him about this topic. As for you, I would go ahead and continue with the advice he gave you:)

ReplyQuote
kristen_bryant
(@kristen_bryant)
Active Member Enrolled
31/10/2018 2:36 pm  

No worries, Jonathan! I'm totally open to do whatever, and realize that my weirdly flexible digestive system seems to be a puzzlement to everyone, myself included. I'm just gonna keep chugging along forever in Phase I.... (ok not really.... it just sometimes feels like it)   😆  😟 

ReplyQuote
Christos (IG: @christosketo)
(@christosfl81)
Reputable Member Admin
02/11/2018 9:32 am  

(@kristen_bryant) Just to jump in here as well. I agree with @theketoroad. I remember the live when Robert answered this question. Of course that is great that your protein threshold is so high. I Would be weary however getting that much protein in. As we all know at a certain point protein being that much higher than fat reduces the efficiency of producing ketones. That is why there is a correlation between high protein and lower ketones. Of course we are NOT chasing ketones but this is a deeper state ketosis course. I also second the thought is that you do not want your body to NEED that much protein as maintaining the muscle will be difficult. 

This is your course but going back to basics, what is your goal? What will continuing down to 65% give you over let's say 75%?

Christos

ReplyQuote
(@christosfl81)
Reputable Member Admin
02/11/2018 9:32 am  

(@kristen_bryant) Just to jump in here as well. I agree with @theketoroad. I remember the live when Robert answered this question. Of course that is great that your protein threshold is so high. I Would be weary however getting that much protein in. As we all know at a certain point protein being that much higher than fat reduces the efficiency of producing ketones. That is why there is a correlation between high protein and lower ketones. Of course we are NOT chasing ketones but this is a deeper state ketosis course. I also second the thought is that you do not want your body to NEED that much protein as maintaining the muscle will be difficult. 

This is your course but going back to basics, what is your goal? What will continuing down to 65% give you over let's say 75%?

Christos

ReplyQuote
kristen_bryant
(@kristen_bryant)
Active Member Enrolled
02/11/2018 6:19 pm  
Posted by: Christos (IG: @christosketo) 

My goal is to lose 10 more pounds. As for the 65% ... I have no idea what it will give me. You'd have to ask Robert that. HE'S the one who recommended 65%. This is weird. Y'all keep acting as if I just pulled this number out of thin air. I didn't. I knew my high protein tolerance, and that's why I asked the question during the Q&A. At this point I feel like folks need to stop asking what I'm thinking, and ask Robert what HE was thinking, and why HE recommended 65%.

Lawt...

ReplyQuote
(@christosfl81)
Reputable Member Admin
02/11/2018 7:18 pm  
Posted by: kristen_bryant
Posted by: Christos (IG: @christosketo) 

My goal is to lose 10 more pounds. As for the 65% ... I have no idea what it will give me. You'd have to ask Robert that. HE'S the one who recommended 65%. This is weird. Y'all keep acting as if I just pulled this number out of thin air. I didn't. I knew my high protein tolerance, and that's why I asked the question during the Q&A. At this point I feel like folks need to stop asking what I'm thinking, and ask Robert what HE was thinking, and why HE recommended 65%.

Lawt...

Hey there, we are asking questions to help. All of us including Robert are going by questions without knowing your exact details. No harm no foul! Honestly, don't take it as going against you or attacking. Sorry if it fees that way.  We truly spend time trying to help people and reading tone from text is always difficult. 

We will talk to Robert and see if he remembers why 65%. Tagging @keto-savage 

ReplyQuote
Robert Sikes
(@keto-savage)
Eminent Member Admin
05/11/2018 9:53 am  

Sorry for the delay in responding ladies and gents.  I don't remember that exact LIVE q and a as it has been quite some time since then.  However, based off of what I've read and from what I do remember about the LIVE session, I have no doubt that @kristen_bryant could go as low as a 65% fat ratio.  She seems to have a great tolerance to the protein intake and I'm sure she wouldn't experience many of the adverse effects others would at that high of a protein intake.  However, I don't necessarily think going that low is optimal.  Again, there are no "set" numbers in DSK.  Things fluctuate tremendously and you have to make adjustments in real time based off of your body's feedback.  In working with as many people as I have, I've noticed most tend to reach their threshold between 75% and 77%.  I have a few outliers go as low as 70% . There is no real benefit to going less than that UNLESS you have a ton of calories to start with and you plan on being on the cut for several months over the 90 days.   Generally speaking though, I would recommend cycling through the course twice as opposed to the extremely long format.  Then, you can maintain a higher fat ratio, get more deeply adapted, and your body will perform a bit more optimally.  Hopefully all this makes sense 🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register