[Solved] Potassium Dosage Question  

RSS

Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
07/09/2018 12:08 am  
Hi DSK folks.

I'm going to be supplementing with Potassium as that seems to be missing from my foods right now. (Goodbye avocado!)

I have the highest available supplements here in Australia. So want to run something by you smart people...
And I see recommendations to shoot for 1000mg per day. 

And I've seen ZippFizz conversation in the forum here speaking of higher numbers than that. 

So I'm curious... 
  • is that 1000mg of Potassium Gluconate (2 pills)
  • or 1000mg of elemental Potassium (10 pills)
Thanks for your help with this clarification.

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
Honorable Member Moderator
08/09/2018 12:28 pm  

@fiona        Hi Fiona!!! 

You are wanting the pure element of potassium, 1000 mg , no matter what else it is bonded to, such as citrate, gluconate,  chloride, etc.  And yes you are correct that when the potassium is bound to something else, you want  to focus only on the potassium part of the molecule.  In the USA, the FDA limits the labeling on bottles of capsules / tablets to 99 mg /dose, so that is a lot of pills to be taking.   The reason they put that 99mg there, is that there is some risk of potassium eroding the stomach lining if it stays in contact with it too long. So a pill of concentrated potassium sitting in one spot and dissolving over time can put that part of the stomach at risk. There is some debate, I believe, over how much is "safe" in most cases. The medical community has capped it at 99mg at a time, because that is the level that should be safe for pretty much everybody.

So instead of taking a bunch of pills, you can get your potassium from Zipfizz, but I prefer & use Dr. Berg's electrolyte powder which has 1,000 mg of Potassium citrate (better absorbed than the gluconate).  I love Dr Bergs, as it's more cost effective and tastes great  - flavored with stevia to sweeten it, & just one scoop is all you need.

No one here is a doctor, we are just giving you the best advice we can, so please consult your physician if you are taking any of the above because it may not be safe for people with certain conditions, such as kidney disease or heart disease. Make sure your doctor knows about any other medications you are taking. Potassium citrate/chloride & gluconate can cause allergic reactions in some people. Potassium citrate is unlikely to cause any side effects other than an increase in urine. Potassium chloride can cause confusion, anxiety, uneven heartbeat, thirst, muscle weakness, nausea or numbness.  Also, anyone taking large amounts of potassium should have regular monitoring of their levels by their doctor, since high potassium is just as dangerous as low potassium and just as potentially fatal. 

I hope this helps!!!!!! 😀  😀  😀  😀  😀 

This post was modified 3 months  ago by judylove

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
08/09/2018 8:09 pm  

Thanks for your super detailed response @judylove (Feel free to delete the cross-post)

Looks like the US and Australia have the same rules regarding labelling/dosages. 

Dr Bergs mix is out of my budget right now.
$50AU for the powder + $42AU for shipping to my corner of the world, for what looks like a month supply

ZippFizz won't ship directly to Australia, so via eBay sellers is hit a similar price point for a single box. 
$40AU for the powder + $40AU for shipping.

Will try and find a Potassium Citrate version locally, to replace my Gluconate, to make sure my body is taking maximum advantage of the potassium. 

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
09/09/2018 4:07 pm  

@fiona  Glad this info was helpful!!!  😊 What bummer at the cost of shipping to Australia!!!!  🙄  

I found a list of some potassium rich foods that are generally low carb, so maybe this could help you reduce the supplement pill intake & still get in your potassium.  Check the weights & measures, & make sure what you are buying really has what you need.   😀 

• Three cooked slices thick bacon: 539 mg.
  • Three ounces canned clams: 534 mg.
  • One four-ounce boneless pork chop: 514 mg.
  • One four-ounce beef sirloin steak: 495 mg.
  • One four-ounce grilled salmon: 480 mg.
  • One cup cooked broccoli: 458 mg.
  • One-half cup cooked spinach or chard: 420 mg
  • Four medium-sized oysters: 242 mg
  • One cup of black tea mg:  88mg

Hope this is helpful too!!!! 😀  😀  😀  😀  😀 

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
09/09/2018 4:14 pm  

Thanks, @judylove

Shipping to our corner of the world is always extreme. Especially for large light things. 

Will add some of these items into my food plan when I change my macros next. This week is booked in, locked and loaded already.

Looks like I could get my potassium in using food, rather than pills. Or at least a lot more than I'm getting right now. May ever start drinking tea!

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
09/09/2018 4:28 pm  

@fiona  Hi Fiona!!  I have had Tazo, awake black tea, & I love it, & it does have 88mg of potassium.  However not all black teas are blessed with this, so best of luck to you!!!! 😊  😀  😀  😀  😀 

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
30/09/2018 8:09 pm  

@judylove Does this powder look closer to what you were speaking about with "citrate powder" versions? 

https://au.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Potassium-Citrate-Pure-Powder-12-oz-340-g/69741

1/4 teaspoon = 448mg of Potassium, which would work out at a bit over 1/2 teaspoon serving to get 1000mg per day

Instead of my 10x 99mg capsules, I think this powder could work with 'fewer pills and potions 'to take daily.

Would you agree with my calculations? 

Got a Dr appointment booked for next week to get my 1 year keto blood tests taken, so will check in with them regarding my overall dosage levels. 

- Fiona

judylove
(@judylove)
01/10/2018 4:55 pm  

@fiona  Sorry for the delay, I couldn't get on the DSK site yesterday...  Anyways, It looks good, but I've never tried the Now potassium citrate powder, it also certainly looks more economical.  I would guess that it might not taste the best though, so as it dissolves in the water you can try adding in Monkfruit drops or stevia, & some kind of your favorite flavoring.  I think your calculations are great, & I like that you are gonna have all your bloodwork done too!  For me, it was confirmation that my keto diet was right for me, that my blood panels all looked terrific, my A1c is back at normal, all that good stuff, & also, if there is a problem, they can let you know!!  Some hang in there, you are doing a great job getting what you  can in Aussieland!!!  I've always dreamed of going there, so if I do, I'll know I have to be prepared with all these things & pack them before going!!!  🤣  🤣  🤣 LOL  All the best to you! 😊  😊  😀  😀  😀  🤗  🤗  🤩  🤩 

This post was modified 2 months  ago by judylove

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
01/10/2018 7:47 pm  

@judylove Thanks for the confirmation on my math.

I figured I could 'chug it down' it at first it wasn't tasty and work out a way to flavour it, or disguise it if not that bearable. Great idea to add a sweetener or sugar-free flavour. Will see what I can get my hands on. 

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
01/10/2018 7:52 pm  

@fiona  In addition to the monkfruit, I sometimes add a drop of lemon or strawberry essence/extract, sometimes vanilla, & sometimes I use seltzer water as the water to make it more palatable & filling.  Go for your favorites & make it a treat that's enjoyable!!! 😊  😊  😋  😋  🤩  🤩  🤩  😀  😀  😀 

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
01/10/2018 7:54 pm  

@judylove It's bound to be better than gulping down 10x pills - no matter what it tastes like!

- Fiona

judylove liked
ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
01/10/2018 8:13 pm  

@fiona  So true!!! 🤣  🤣  🤣 

Please let us know what you concoct, & if you liked it. Thanks in advance! 😀 😀 😀  

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
15/10/2018 9:15 pm  

@judylove

I'm now taking 3 grams (just under half a teaspoon) of the Potassium Citrate powder. I mix it in with one of these ALDI "Essential Health" effervescent tablets in a glass of water. The fizzy tablet comes in three flavour variations - original, orange, and tropical.

For those following along at home, don't lick the measuring spoon, stir the last few granules Potassium Citrate powder of into your drink. It seems to burn my lips/tongue on contact. (Not fun, but not painful, a slight stinging)

- Fiona

Share:

Working

Please Login or Register