Another protein threshold question  

RSS

Keto_Meggo
(@megandbg)
Active Member Enrolled
04/11/2018 5:17 am  

I am 3 weeks down and wondering if I could possibly have met my protein threshold so soon or should I continue another week to see what happens?

Sundays are the start of my DSK week. Last Sun & Mon I felt fantastic. Super lean, energetic, ketones through the roof for me at 2.8.

I started to worry it was a little too high for me because I was waking up too energetic, racing, and head feeling a little heavy first thing in the morning until I got moving around and focused on what I needed to do with all my energy... if that makes sense.

So macros change Sun and like clockwork by Tues and the entire rest of the week I’ve felt lethargic, achey, and inflammed, def not as lean as I was just a couple of days prior. Ketones at 1.6.

I am a nurse so I was exposed to the flu virus (along with who knows what else) this week, so I’ve kept that in the back of my head that I could be fighting off some form of illness.

it is just odd how it corresponded directly to the dates of diet change.

Should I continue this upcoming week in phase 1 by dropping macros again as planned or continue the same I was on this past week to see what happens?

its such a small change weekly it’s hard to believe the difference of 1% could have that effect, right? 

My current macros are 1507kcal, 131 fat, 72 protein and the 10 carbs.

I keep my electrolyte game up with Dr Bergs mix 🙂

Another note, should I try to get my macro ratio spot on per meal or is it enough that I am hitting daily macros?

Sometimes my ratio at meal time is only slightly higher fat than protein so I’ll add a fat bomb or bulletproof coffee at the time of meal but not always if I am trying to save my calories for the day to spread them out. like fat fasting with bulletproof coffee until afternoon I don’t have as much fat to work with at lunch and dinner.

But I always get my total daily macro ratio spot on. 

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
04/11/2018 12:21 pm  

When you said, "...first thing in the morning until I got moving around and focused on what I needed to do with all my energy... if that makes sense." Do you mean like you felt tired but once you got up and moving you were fine? 

What you mentioned in how you felt starting on Tuesday are signs to look for. Yet, you also mentioned the info about work so that could maybe be a factor. 

We always tell people to give it another week and get 2 weeks of data when seeing if they hit their protein threshold. By doing this, it will confirm to you more that you hit that point or not. It will also not hurt you in the long run either. 

Yeah it's crazy to think that just a small percent can make a difference, but it does. It 100% makes a difference for me with my shoulder inflammation/pain. 

I love using Dr. Bergs mix.  👍 

One comment on your calories, since you said that you are 3 weeks in, how much weight do you want to lose? I ask this because those calories look pretty low when starting this program. 

"Another note, should I try to get my macro ratio spot on per meal or is it enough that I am hitting daily macros?"-->I think in the best case scenario hitting your macros spot on per meal would be great, aside from breakfast if you just do a fatty coffee. I know that Robert likes doing a fat fast in the AM with this protocol. However, you would be totally fine not hitting the ratios perfect at every meal. Do what feels best for you.

I personally have found if my protein percent is much higher than my fat at a meal, I'll get bad heartburn. (I suffered from heartburn previously in my life.) I hardly do it but I learned this quickly at the start of DSK when I needed to hit my protein one night. 

A+ on your daily macros.  😎 

So to answer your ultimate question, give it another week. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Keto_Meggo
(@megandbg)
Active Member Enrolled
04/11/2018 4:16 pm  

My head was heavy but not like tired... just weird feeling.

i notice I get that when my ketones are high when I wake up in the morning. 

I felt a ton of blood flow to my brain but wasn’t sure were to focus all the energy until I was totally awake & realized what day it was. I felt like I was on adderall but no where to focus the energy lol. Working 3 days a week shift work, my days are all over the place. 

So i am not even immediately sure what day of the week it is when I wake up... but once I did realize the day, my ketones had me fully energetic and focused on whatever my daily task was. 

Now this new macro set this past week, my whole body feels heavy and  every step feels weighted down and extra hard to make. its so weird. I felt great last week.

i have been trying to stay spot on my macros to make sure I know for sure, Robert said try to make sure we are within 5g but I am trying to be as close as possible because it makes a difference. 

Weight wise I am only trying to lose 10-15 pounds.

i don’t anticipate I’ll get to 15 which I am fine with. I mostly want body recomp so I hope to gain some muscle while losing some fat. 

I do Keto mostly for the mental, mood, and energy benefits but want to drop some body fat percentage and some extra pounds I gained recently when I relocated.

my stomach is even bloated this week. I feel really crappy compared to how awesome I felt last week 🙁

I’m giving it this week and then go back to the protein I was at prior when I felt great?

I’m sure it’s explained when I enter phase 2... we’ll keep the fat and protein percentage the same while adjusting the calories? 

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
04/11/2018 6:40 pm  

I gotcha now with your head in the morning. I have no experience with that work schedule that would mess with your head in one way or another I'm sure. At times I switch from morning shift to 2nd shift and I just hate it. 

For the within 5-gram rule, I started with that but yes being spot on is definitely best and I started to make sure I was spot on, as the course went on. 

On your calories, what date does the graph go red for you? I know it may be a ways out, but we would ideally like you to get 2 refeeds in for phase 3 before you go red. 

For how you are feeling this week, did you introduce any new or different foods?

In phase 2, you can set the fat percent that you felt best at. Or I even set it at 0 and that made the fat slowly increase each week. I wanted to see if I felt best at a certain percent. However, having more protein would have been nice as my calories got lower. 

ReplyQuote
Keto_Meggo
(@megandbg)
Active Member Enrolled
05/11/2018 3:10 pm  

If I switch to phase 2 now, the graph goes red January 5th.

I started DSK October 14th so that’s just shy of the 3 months and right around my “goal weight” but I’m avoiding the scale and just going by how I feel, I don’t want to become obsessed with a number. 

Not sure how the Refeeds work since I haven’t gotten that far into the program. 

I hope this is enough time before it turns red.

I feel great today!!

I continued with the plan on Phase 1, dropped my macros yesterday to give it another week trial as you suggested, figuring it would get worse if I was at my protein threshold. 

I feel really really good. 

Last week I introduced GreenWise Chipotle and Montary jack cheese chicken sausage from Publix which were supposed to be their “healthy brand.”

They were easy to weigh out, know exact macros, and cook quickly. But now I’m wondering if they had unclean ingrediants like dextrose or something.

I threw away the package & had stored them in a zip loc bag after I scanned it into Cronometer. 

I’ve been trying really hard to stay clean. I have to check their package next time I go, Good call!

I almost felt like I was on carbs again last week.

The past two days I’ve been weighing out plain 80/20 ground beef & pork, eggs.

Woke up this morning like a new person again. 

I am soooo happy.

This is why I am doing DSK, to feel great and I just want to find exactly what works for me and keeps my body healthy and feeling best mentally and physically. 

I was honestly dreading another week of feeling like crap while I figured it out lol. 

Sorry this is so long winded 🙂

i am actually going to try to stay within the gram too now, just because the food is making such a profound difference on how I feel. 

Totally worth it to get it right. 

Been mixing MCT oil and collagen peptides in almond milk to get in my fat & protein, and as a sweet treat (with stevia and vanilla extract) so i think I’m just going to adjust my recipe with the MCT and peptides to get spot on for my grams per day. 

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
05/11/2018 3:46 pm  

@megandbg

Reading this makes me so happy for you.  😊 I am so glad that you feeling much better today!

With how much weight you want to lose that date sounds fine to me. Does the spreadsheet go red at around 1300 or 1200 calories for you?

Even though we use weight as a tool on this program, I'm glad you know what will work for you in the long run. Having extra stress over a number is also not ideal when you want to lose weight. Yet something to be aware of the scale can help you figure out your protein threshold. Keep on eye on how clothes are fitting you and take measurements for additional help. 

The sausages could have been a factor. It's always great to be aware of new things that you introduce into your diet and see how it affects you. 

That drink sounds pretty good and an easy way to change your macros. 

ReplyQuote
Keto_Meggo
(@megandbg)
Active Member Enrolled
06/11/2018 2:37 pm  

Yes it goes red around 1200 calories. Which is fine with me because I lived at 1200 calories for years in the past to lose weight and maintain weight loss. I am petite so I know my BMR isn’t very high but it’s crazy to have to stay so low for so long. I felt stuck on tracking everything at the time because 1200 is so easy to go over and I would gain weight if I did.

The only time I had freedom from the tracking was when I did South Beach diet, and my own version of Keto (before the name Keto was a thing haha). I limited my carbs to under 20/day and it was coming from veggies.

This was early 2000’s before smart phones & all that.

then 2008 I had my daughter and found the myfitnesspal app post pregnancy and resorted to calorie counting to lose post pregnancy weight and it was like a trap lol. 

I like that this program will offboard and get calories back up to maintain a new physique at a higher intake.

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
06/11/2018 4:16 pm  

Thanks for sharing. 🙂

It's great to hear that you already plan to offboard and know that it's important with the addition to help bring up your maintenance calories. Be fair warned though, as I was, that the start of offboarding is no joke. It was the hardest phase in this program for me.

For me, right now in offboarding, I'm at 2125 calories and I started this program at 1700 ( I secretly wish I onboarded). 

ReplyQuote
Keto_Meggo
(@megandbg)
Active Member Enrolled
16/11/2018 3:57 am  

So I am 5 weeks in now and still in phase 1. Besides that one week bump in the road, I’ve consistently felt great.

The ketone high is not as crazy as it was during week 1 & 2 (although I say this as I woke up over an hour before the alarm, full of energy at 4am today) but I def still feel good.

my energy is sustained and even throughout the day.

i am losing inches and this week has been a particularly good for some reason  at 76% fat and 21% protein.

I feel like myself and normal, if that makes any sense. I actually feel like I am burning body fat, feel lean and healthy, productivity is up, and my mind is clear. 

I feel like I am in “the zone” hahaha I don’t know if anyone else gets that, when you try multiple times to get diet and exercise on point but feel like it is forced and like you’re dragging yourself through mud... until that one magical time everything lines up and you are in the zone and it’s super easy and you feel like you can do & accomplish anything. 

So much so that I want to add on a lot more cardio... I want to do spin a few days a week. Which can be intense.

Not sure if this will mess up the program as it says to slowly add on cardio ?

and Finally...

My macros change on Sunday.

assuming I continue this path of increasingly feeling good, do I just move onto Phase 2 as per spread sheet after week 6? And then look back at phase 1 to see when I think I felt most optimal and use those macros for phase 2 ? 

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
17/11/2018 7:17 pm  
Posted by: Keto_Meggo

So I am 5 weeks in now and still in phase 1. Besides that one week bump in the road, I’ve consistently felt great.

The ketone high is not as crazy as it was during week 1 & 2 (although I say this as I woke up over an hour before the alarm, full of energy at 4am today) but I def still feel good.

my energy is sustained and even throughout the day.

i am losing inches and this week has been a particularly good for some reason  at 76% fat and 21% protein.

I feel like myself and normal, if that makes any sense. I actually feel like I am burning body fat, feel lean and healthy, productivity is up, and my mind is clear. 

I feel like I am in “the zone” hahaha I don’t know if anyone else gets that, when you try multiple times to get diet and exercise on point but feel like it is forced and like you’re dragging yourself through mud... until that one magical time everything lines up and you are in the zone and it’s super easy and you feel like you can do & accomplish anything. 

So much so that I want to add on a lot more cardio... I want to do spin a few days a week. Which can be intense.

Not sure if this will mess up the program as it says to slowly add on cardio ?

and Finally...

My macros change on Sunday.

assuming I continue this path of increasingly feeling good, do I just move onto Phase 2 as per spread sheet after week 6? And then look back at phase 1 to see when I think I felt most optimal and use those macros for phase 2 ? 

Yes, it makes sense that you feel like yourself. So happy for you.

For your cardio and spin question: I would suggest to slowly increase it. We don't want to shock your body into something new and intense. I say go ahead and do some spinning but do it on your own, instead of a class. I say this because you can control how long you do it for and can slowly increase it.  Think of what we are doing with the macros, slow and steady to always confuse the body and not get settled into one set of calories. The same can be true for working out. This is just my insight but other moderators can definitely weigh in on this.

For your macros: For right now, I have a few thoughts. You can continue still in phase 1 and keep trying to find your protein threshold, as you do feeling amazing right now. We can then see how the next set of macros makes you feel. When you are at 75% fat by going lower, you may not be in ketosis and that wouldn't be good. It also sounds like you have a ketone meter, so that can help you out.

Another thought is that yea you can go on to phase 2 next and you choose which fat % you felt best at. Finding your true protein threshold is not an end all be all thing either, from my understanding. Having more protein can be nice for later in the course. Everyone is different though with which fat percent they like best. You can actually set the preferred fat level at 0 and this will slowly increase your fat over the phase 2 processes. 

Tagging @theketoroad in this post (to get another possible insight) as I think the other moderator is currently busier. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Keto_Meggo
(@megandbg)
Active Member Enrolled
20/11/2018 1:18 pm  

Good to know about the ability to set the fat to zero & it slowly increasing! 

I had a hiccup yesterday unfortunately so I think I may need to stay in this week / macro ratio longer to get an accurate reading of how i feel.

My daughter got Honor Role at school and received a token for a free meal at a local restaurant. Of course I couldn’t tell her no... and she wanted me to eat with her.

i haven’t eaten out since starting DSK and was frustrated with the food options. Ended up getting a bunless burger with 2 slices of cheese and side of broccoli with butter... ate less than half of both but frustrated because I have no idea the fat ratio of the beef, no idea how many ounces I ate (it was thicker than what I’d make at home so hard for me to judge), and then later on because I already screwed up tracking I ate some of the cinnamon Keto Brick I had in my fridge and Pili nuts without measuring / weighing them out 😫😫

I am back on point today with weighing and tracking but I’m mad at myself for yesterday’s screw up. I am an all or nothing person so as soon as I couldn’t track one thing I got that “what’s the point” attitude. 

Do you suggest any specific time to measure ketones?

i was doing it in the morning but not sure if it matters.

Are we going with the higher the better here or just as long as we are in ketosis?

i know I was really high when first starting DSK then dropped down a little, but I’m not sure if that was just adjusting to the diet and going strict with the carbs and so high on the fat. 

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
20/11/2018 1:42 pm  

Please, please, don't beat yourself up. I don't have kids, but I know that kids 100% come first. You stayed keto! Remember that. 🙂 By reading that I'd still like you to stay the course, don't repeat the week over. Move on to the next week as if you did not mess up. Which you have done already and are back on track. 

How are you feeling today as a whole?

I know there is variation in when you test your ketones and how it's affected. I would keep doing what you are doing for time, to keep it consistent to compare against your past data. For the question on the number of ketones, my advice is to not worry about it. 🙂 I did not test through this program. It's nice data to look at, however, by eating this high of fat and these low of carbs you would be fine. Also go by how best you feel with which fat percent you like best.

ReplyQuote
Keto_Meggo
(@megandbg)
Active Member Enrolled
21/11/2018 7:20 am  

I probably had just over a quarter of the Keto Brick but it was AMAZING lol. It made me feel so good inside, soothing & nourished.

that bunless burger had me feeling empty and crappy.

I was craving fats when I left the restaurant.

The higher the fat content with meals- like egg salad or the Keto Brick, the better.

I’ve been using Parmesan crisps (there’s a brand at the store that has zero carbs and jalapeño flavor) to dip in egg salad made with primal kitchen chipotle & lime Mayo... Fat on fat 🙂 mmm...

I checked my ketones this morning before I read the reply lol- 1.3. Happy I am still in ketosis even tho protein is getting higher.

i am taking your advice to finish out the week and then re-eval the past and try to see where and when I felt the best. I didn’t keep notes, only on my numbers / measurements... (really wishing I did) but thankfully my questions on here kinda helps me date back events haha.

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
22/11/2018 9:17 am  

Love the fat on fat. 🙂 Also, yes keto brick is darn right amazing!

Thanks for the update and your thoughts on what happened. You also learned something from it.  👍  I'm always a big fan of taking a not good thing and seeing what I can learn from the experience. Be it with food or just life in general. 

Are you starting to take measurements now and jotting down any notes? I used the spreadsheet to add little notes if needed. 

I look forward to see how the week goes for you and what the next week may bring.  

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register