Phase 1 - Macro Adjustment Methods - How to adjust and tweak macros during this stage?  

RSS

Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
19/10/2018 9:50 pm  

I'm thinking about kicking off Phase One at the end of this week. In preparation for this move, I've rewatched the Phase 1 course module videos. And in the "Phase 1 Overview" lesson, I heard @keto-savage mention two paths forward through this stage. (0:38sec)

• Option 1. Shrink Fat / Increase Protein
  • Option 2. Hold Fat Stable  / Increase Protein

So I ran the numbers and got these sets of data. (Assuming this week I'm sitting at 80% fat)

• Option 1. Shrink Fat / Increase Protein
  C F P CAL F%
WK8 10 235 128 2667 79.3%
WK9 10 227 131 2606 78.4%
WK10 10 219 134 2547 77.4%
WK11 10 211 138 2492 76.2%
WK12 10 204 141 2439 75.3%
WK13 10 197 145 2389 74.1%

• Option 2. Hold Fat Stable  / Increase Protein
  C F P CAL F%
WK8 10 235 122 2643 80.0%
WK9 10 235 130 2675 79.0%
WK10 10 235 139 2711 78.0%
WK11 10 235 147 2743 77.1%
WK12 10 235 157 2783 76.0%
WK13 10 235 166 2819 75.0%

So my question at the moment is, is there a benefit to keeping fat stable, while increasing protein, so I can keep boosting my calories allowing me to move into Phase 2 down the track in a strong position to taper down for quite a while? 

- Fiona

PS. I'd love to hear your thoughts @max-havoc @judylove @christosfl81 @abbyb1885

PPS. My recent Onboarding adventures can be found here

This topic was modified 2 months  ago 3 times by Fiona

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
20/10/2018 8:09 pm  

Fiona,

It's great to see that you are watching all the videos that this course has to offer to help. However, there seems to be some miss communication going on with understanding.

The magical wonders of this course is that you do NOT choose your macros for each week. The spreadsheet will fill it in for you. In phase 1, your calories will decrease each week. The grams of both fat and protein will go down each week. For when you hear increase protein, the spreadsheet is increasing the percent of the protein. For example, week 1 of phase 1 may give you 80% fat, then the next week it could be 79% fat. That extra 1% was given to protein.  Does this make sense at all? 

I did hear Robert say keep fat the same and increase protein, however, don't do that. The spreadsheet is set up to how your macros should be each week after you put in your info you ended with, with onboarding. Also, another note on this, is that the spreadsheet is not even set up for you to keep the grams the same. We are reaching out to Robert about this. 

Have you looked at the tab for phase 1 yet and input your start date for it?

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
21/10/2018 5:03 pm  

@abbyb1885

I saw the how the spreadsheet worked and used that to get my Option #1 numbers above. These are straight out of the Phase 1 tab, after popping in the dates and details of my Onboarding process. 

But after also hearing @keto-savage in the video, I thought I'd ask if keeping fat stable was better? or different?
(I then used my own spreadsheet skills to calculate those numbers in Option #2, so I could post them here as a comparison)

I haven't been 'choosing' my macros, the spreadsheet did during Onboarding and will do so again in Phase 1. In this case, I just added the fat% column. However, as I'm transposing the numbers here (so you and the other moderators/coaches can see my plans or more detail around my questions) and also into my own spreadsheet I've been using for almost a year now to track my entire keto journey, I find that using the spreadsheet at the beginning of each phase easiest for my mindset and ongoing macro clarity. 

Looks like I should ignore the 'side comment' in the video, and stick with the spreadsheet data (aka Option #1) the "drop fat, increase protein" set of macros. 

- Fiona. 

ReplyQuote
Christos (IG: @christosketo)
(@christosfl81)
Honorable Member Admin
21/10/2018 5:23 pm  
Posted by: Fiona

@abbyb1885

I saw the how the spreadsheet worked and used that to get my Option #1 numbers above. These are straight out of the Phase 1 tab, after popping in the dates and details of my Onboarding process. 

But after also hearing @keto-savage in the video, I thought I'd ask if keeping fat stable was better? or different?
(I then used my own spreadsheet skills to calculate those numbers in Option #2, so I could post them here as a comparison)

I haven't been 'choosing' my macros, the spreadsheet did during Onboarding and will do so again in Phase 1. In this case, I just added the fat% column. However, as I'm transposing the numbers here (so you and the other moderators/coaches can see my plans or more detail around my questions) and also into my own spreadsheet I've been using for almost a year now to track my entire keto journey, I find that using the spreadsheet at the beginning of each phase easiest for my mindset and ongoing macro clarity. 

Looks like I should ignore the 'side comment' in the video, and stick with the spreadsheet data (aka Option #1) the "drop fat, increase protein" set of macros. 

- Fiona. 

Fiona, 

thanks for sending this. Definitely use the spreadsheet (option 1). Abby’s response was accurate. The keeping fat constant comment was confusing. I talked to @keto-savage and we will make a note in the phase 1 pdf. 

Sorry for for the confusion. You are right with continuing with the spreadsheet. 

Keep us posted on your progress 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
21/10/2018 5:24 pm  

Thanks for the additional confirmation @christosfl81

Will continue as planned. 

- Fiona

Robert Sikes
(@keto-savage)
Trusted Member Admin
23/10/2018 1:37 pm  

I just updated the Phase 1 Overview text to illustrate the difference.  Thank you all for keeping me on my toes and for following the instructions so closely 🙂

ReplyQuote
AbbyBK
(@abbyb1885)
Estimable Member Moderator
23/10/2018 5:38 pm  
Posted by: AbbyBK

Fiona,

It's great to see that you are watching all the videos that this course has to offer to help. However, there seems to be some miss communication going on with understanding.

The magical wonders of this course is that you do NOT choose your macros for each week. The spreadsheet will fill it in for you. In phase 1, your calories will decrease each week. The grams of both fat and protein will go down each week. For when you hear increase protein, the spreadsheet is increasing the percent of the protein. For example, week 1 of phase 1 may give you 80% fat, then the next week it could be 79% fat. That extra 1% was given to protein.  Does this make sense at all? 

I did hear Robert say keep fat the same and increase protein, however, don't do that. The spreadsheet is set up to how your macros should be each week after you put in your info you ended with, with onboarding. Also, another note on this, is that the spreadsheet is not even set up for you to keep the grams the same. We are reaching out to Robert about this. 

Have you looked at the tab for phase 1 yet and input your start date for it?

I miss typed/remembered. Also, Christos didn't catch it either from me. Whops on both of us. I just read what Robert put under the video. I am human and totally forgot that my grams of protein increased in this phase. However, if you just follow the spreadsheet, you are good to go.  👍 

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
23/10/2018 5:45 pm  

Thanks for following up and making the tweak to the content so future folks don't get confused @keto-savage 

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Eminent Member Enrolled
23/10/2018 5:46 pm  

@abbyb1885 I'm glad you spotted the missed bits and that we're all on the same page again now. 

- Fiona

Share:

Working

Please Login or Register