Neon Yellow and Urg...

Neon Yellow and Urgent. (Warning: Poop Talk)  

RSS

Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
17/12/2018 4:06 am  

Yep it’s that time of day. 

Lets take about poop. 

I’ve been plagued with the need to pass urgent bowel motions after eating for a few weeks now.

While working out my fat and protein ratios... and most days now that I’m tapering down my macros. 

But right now I’m posting from my bathroom. I’ll spare you the photo evidence it trust me when I tell you my pop is liquid neon yellow. 

I’m eating 80% fat last week. Neon Liquid. 

I dropped back to 75% fat for a few days now this week, still neon! 

While in onboarding this wasn’t a concern. While working out my ratios it popped up... and seems to be persisting. 

Tips? Hints? Ideas? 

Can I share more about my eating? Timing? Supplements? What do you need to know to help me avoid the bathroom dash!?

Fiona

AbbyBK (IG @ketokeuhnnutrition )
(@abbyb1885)
Reputable Member Moderator
17/12/2018 8:27 am  

Hmmm. Yes, the food, supplements and sure why not the timing will help in further trying to figure this out.

Are you in any pain? Is said poop floating? What's the shape of the stool? 

Have you had this before? I also forget, where you ever this high in fat perfect before DSK?

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
17/12/2018 3:56 pm  

Thanks, @abbyb1885 here are some more details.

(PS. I'm no longer in the bathroom now, so you may get more helpful info from me)

1. No pain or bloating at all, just the urgent need to visit the bathroom. (I'm fearful of experiencing a yellow tsunami in my lounge room!) 
  2. Nothing solid enough to float, liquid and perhaps confetti type pieces of up to the size of a nickel - or Aussie 5 cent piece - which sink.
  3. I have experienced this once or twice earlier during DSK, coconut oil fat bombs were involved - but it was for nowhere as long as this sequence of adventures. 
  4. At first, I contemplated it may be 'period poop' / 'period cramp' activity mixed with a high-fat diet, but my cycle finished that stage and I'm still pooping!
  5. Pre DSK (109 days ago) I think I was sitting at around 60% Fat, 40% Protein, pooping solid every 3 days on average
  6. I was Onboarding for 6 weeks, and after the first week or two seemed to settle into the higher fat ratio, solid poop every 2 days (excluding coconut oil fat bomb days!)

So let's talk about food. 

I eat OMAD (one meal a day) in the evenings, between 6 pm and 8 pm.

This recent yellow adventure kicks in around 10-30minutes after I eat, and can last multiple trips to the bathroom over the next few hours. I'm generally safe to go to bed 3-4hours after dinner. (Which works OK for my sleep schedule)

I change my macros, meals and supplement calculations up weekly.

Here is a snapshot of what I am eating this week: Sat, Sun, Mon (Dec 15 - now)

75% fat (2g Carbs, 176g Fat, 123g Protein) 2075 calories

• ~300g Scotch Fillet Steak (10 oz Rib Eye)
  • 10g Lard for cooking (1.5 teaspoons)
  • 230g cheddar cheese (8 oz)
  • 30g garlic butter (1 oz)
  • PLUS salt and supplements to make up 4330mg sodium, 1821mg Potassium, 400g Magnesium
  • Water: Sat 2L (0.5 gallons), Sun 4L (1 gallon), Mon 4L (1 gallon)

And last week, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri (Dec 8 - Dec 14)

80% fat (10g Carbs, 190g Fat, 118g Protein) 2202 calories

• 3x Large Eggs
  • 80g Pepperoni (2 oz)
  • 220g cheddar cheese (almost 8 oz)
  • 55g Mayonnaise (2 oz)
  • 10g Chilli Sauce (0.3 oz)
  • 5x Pork Chipolatas (half-length sausages)
  • PLUS salt and supplements to make up 5299mg sodium, 1091mg Potassium, 400g Magnesium
  • Water: Sat 5L (1.3 gallons), Sun 5L (1.3 gallons), Mon 3.5L (0.9 gallons), Tues 4L (1 gallon), Wed 4L (1 gallon), Thurs 4L (1 gallon), Fri 4L (1 gallon)

And the week before that. Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri (Dec 1 - Dec 7)

80% fat (10g Carbs, 194g Fat, 125g Protein) 2311 calories

• 50g Pork Crackles (1.7 oz)
  • 300g Cream Cheese (10 oz) 
  • 100g Salami (3.5 oz)
  • 225g Cheddar Cheese (7.9 oz)
  • 15g Butter (0.5 oz)
  • PLUS salt and supplements to make up 5930mg sodium, 1154mg Potassium, 400g Magnesium
  • Water: Sat 5L (1.3 gallons), Sun 5L (1.3 gallons), Mon 5L (1.3 gallons), Tues 5L (1.3 gallons), Wed 5L (1.3 gallons), Thurs 4L (1 gallon), Fri 5L (1 .3 gallon)

*** Thanks to Google for the conversions to help you visualise the volumes of food I'm eating. 

What else would you like to know?
Have I missed anything? 
Are my ratios out? 
Are my supplements out of whack? 
Too much water? Not enough water? (It's Spring > Summer weather in Australia right now)

I have a spreadsheet that has been tracking my:

• Day # (Keto)
  • Day # (DSK)
  • Ketones (mmol/L - via blood test)
  • Scale Weight (kilograms)
  • Fat % (estimate via FitBit Aria scales)
  • Sleep (H : M via FitBit)
  • Calculated Daily Weight Change (kilograms)
  • Calculated Fat Weight (kilograms)
  • Calculated Daily Fat Weight Change (kilograms)
  • Calculated Weight (pounds)
  • Calculated Daily Weight Change (pounds)
  • Calculated Fat Weight (pounds)
  • Calculated Daily Fat Weight Change (pounds)
  • Carbs, Fat, Protein (grams)
  • Calories
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Magnesium
  • Water (litres)
  • Carbs, Fat, Protein (percentage)
  • Menstrual Cycle (Period - Actual, Ovulation - via FitBit estimates)
  • Bowel Motions, Type Description (Solid, Soft, Liquid, Explosive Liquid) and Time
  • Weekly BMI
  • Weekly Weight Change
  • Monthly Weight Change
  • Blood/Plasma Donations
  • Comments from People on my Progress. 

Happy to share a private link if you need to dig deeper into my situation. 

Thanks for reading through ALL of that! Maybe you or some of the other coaches and moderators can spot something I can't see, or that has become my 'normal' state. 

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
18/12/2018 3:07 pm  

I did a little extra Googling last night, on my phone in the bathroom, and it seems I may be inadvertently giving myself a salt cleanse. 

Daily.

A saltwater flush involves drinking a mixture of warm water and non-iodized salt. Drinking salt and warm water has a laxative effect. It usually causes urgent bowel movements within 30 minutes to an hour, although it may take longer.

OK, so I'm not prepping it that way, because I'm not doing this deliberately!

But I am eating my salt all in one sitting, so that mixed with dinner and the water I drink after dinner may be having a similar effect. 

TEST #1: I'm going to NOT eat my regular volume of sodium/salt for the rest of this week (Wed-Fri) and see if I stop experiencing the sudden tsunami style urgency. I'll report back as I notice things change.

Can you spot any other things that may be messing with my digestive tract? Happy to do more tests.

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
(@abbyb1885)
18/12/2018 3:08 pm  

Fiona,

Damn girl, you track well. Thanks for all the info. After reading through all of that, my thought is that your body may not be processing the fats as well as it could be. Have you ever heard of ox bile salts? Taking this can help with fat digestion. I'm not sure of the dose that you would want to take and I couldn't find a source very quickly. I would look further into ox bile and test it out in small doses.

I did find this site though that talks about some studies,  https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/bile-supplements/#Beneficial_Effects_of_Bile_Supplements  

There are sources with information on ox bile and no gallbladder, but I'm thinking you have a gallbladder still since you did not mention this. 

Of course, I'm not really sure if this is a trusted website with information. 

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
18/12/2018 3:11 pm  

Thanks for the info re; Ox Bile supplements. 

I'll dig deeper into them, see if it is the fat intake that is causing me the issues. 

That can be TEST #2 (if TEST #1 proves to be un-fruitful)

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
18/12/2018 5:29 pm  

I did a little YouTube stalking on Bile Salts, and found this Dr Berg video, speaking about the side effects and when/when not to add them to your supplement stack. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tls7EWnsRE

Looks like I'd be worth checking the sodium intake first TEST #1 above. And also look ay my Magnesium does too, as that can act as a laxative. TEST #2. (And perhaps the acidity of my stomach next. TEST #3)

Looks like perhaps my electrolytes might be out of whack.

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
(@abbyb1885)
19/12/2018 12:15 pm  

For the salt test, you will still be taking in the daily sodium though right? Just spread it out? 

For the magnesium laxative effect, it will depend on which form of magnesium you are taking. 

For loose stools, the amount of fat can have a factor with low lower carbs. Your body has to adjust to some changes here. For me, I noticed a change when I started DSK and was upping my fats. Then after offboarding, when I overkilled it somewhat with packaged "keto treats" I definitely had different bowel movements. 

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
19/12/2018 2:24 pm  

I did a single day test yesterday. 

TEST #1 - No ADDED salt/sodium. (587mg in my food)
RESULT - No need to poop after dinner, overnight, or this morning. 
Next step... bring this back up to "daily levels". And finding a way to spread out my salt/sodium intake.

Any suggestions on how to get it in, but in smaller more spread out ways?

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
20/12/2018 2:02 am  

Dinner tonight has me up from yesterday’s 597mg... today I hit 1997mg. 

- Fiona

PS. How high do you recommend I go back up to across the day? Was I too high before at 5000mg? 

ReplyQuote
(@abbyb1885)
20/12/2018 10:54 am  

For sodium, everyone can be different for what they need. We suggest to be around 3,000-4,000mg to start but increase it as needed. I'm a terrible moderator in the fact that I don't track my salt, yet I can feel it when I need more. Something that I should get better at. 

When I don't get enough salt, I notice it because I'll start to get a headache or I could have more energy as well. If I'm really bad (this only happened once), I would get nauseous. 

I would increase salt intake by putting it in water or in what you are drinking, or maybe just take salt straight and chase it with water throughout the day. I'm assuming that you are sticking to one meal per day.

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
20/12/2018 2:34 pm  

I'll sneak up my sodium intake, daily with my OMAD food, a little bit, until I hit the point of 'too much' in one sitting. 

Then I'll look for ways to spread it out.

Today I'll try 2464mg. 1 gram extra with dinner. 
Tomorrow I'll try 2930mg.
And then 3397mg.

Thanks for helping me out. Writing it down helped me spot things that might be causing me issues. I'm glad I tracked down the culprit quickly. 

- Fiona

(@abbyb1885)
21/12/2018 9:47 pm  

👍

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
Trusted Member Enrolled
30/12/2018 5:48 pm  

👍 One week on, and everything is still moving smoothly (and every 3-4 days!)

I was 100% over-dosing myself with salt in a single sitting. Sitting a little either side of 4000 right now (4162, 3993) and seem to be happy.  😀 

- Fiona

ReplyQuote
(@abbyb1885)
31/12/2018 4:23 am  

This is great to hear that you were able to figure it out. I also learned something new in the processes. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register