Clarifying the Training Protocol...Designed for Hypertrophy or Strength?  

RSS

Andy
 Andy
(@Andy)
15/08/2018 5:56 am  

Hi All, 

I have been working my way through the different weight training protocols and I have noticed (quite rapidly) that Robert relies heavily on High Reps and Supersets.  With that being said, it appears that hypertrophy is the goal.  I do not have experience here, I typically leverage a progressive overload model...3-4 Sets, (12,10,8,6) rep scheme with progressively heavier weights for each set.  

I would love to better understand if a movement says 4 Sets of 12 Reps, should this be with the same weight?(especially if supersetting) OR should the weight progressively increase?  I have soreness like I haven't had before, so I think I am challenging my muscle in new ways but want to ensure I am understanding the protocol correctly.  

Andy

ReplyQuote
judylove
(@judylove)
Honorable Member Moderator
15/08/2018 9:27 am  

@Andy  Hi Andy!!!  Thanks for your question!!  I'm going to tag Max,  @max-havoc on this as he has the expertise in this area.  I will say though for muscle soreness he recommended a blue lotion they use on horses called Mctarnahans Blue lotion, I got it on Amazon, & it has worked wonders for me.  Good Luck with your workouts!!! 😀  😀  😀  😀 

ReplyQuote
Christos (IG: @christosketo)
(@christosfl81)
Honorable Member Admin
15/08/2018 9:47 am  

Hey @Andy, @Max-Havoc can also answer but with the workouts it is a mixture of  progressive overloads and hypertrophy. You will see most of his workouts are either 15,10,8,6 with weight increasing each set or  4 sets of 10,12,15 or even 20. With the hypertrophy sets, the goal is to use the same weight for all 4 sets.  I typically do a RPE of 8 or 9. The only time I would add weight each time is on leg press.  

Which workout are you using? I know in the beginner workout  hypertrophy is mainly used with sets of 4 ranging from 10-20. In the intermediate or advanced workouts you will see more progressive overload and less of hypertrophy sets. 

As far as soreness, DOMS are good and it means you are challenging your muscles because you are doing a new type of training then they have been used to. I have gone through all of the Robert workouts so I can better define if needed. 

You will notice as you go through the workouts that once you get to advanced, although it is the same split, the volume changes weekly. This allows you to hit each type of training every week. 

I hope this helps answer but I can also get into more detail  and the scientific meaning behind the different types as can @max-havoc if needed. Just hit us up. 

Christos

This post was modified 4 months  ago by Christos (IG: @christosketo)

ReplyQuote
Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
15/08/2018 4:39 pm  
Posted by: Andy

Hi All, 

I have been working my way through the different weight training protocols and I have noticed (quite rapidly) that Robert relies heavily on High Reps and Supersets.  With that being said, it appears that hypertrophy is the goal.  I do not have experience here, I typically leverage a progressive overload model...3-4 Sets, (12,10,8,6) rep scheme with progressively heavier weights for each set.  

I would love to better understand if a movement says 4 Sets of 12 Reps, should this be with the same weight?(especially if supersetting) OR should the weight progressively increase?  I have soreness like I haven't had before, so I think I am challenging my muscle in new ways but want to ensure I am understanding the protocol correctly.  

Andy

Hey Andy,

There are two ways to go about doing supersets, one as Christos mentioned is to keep the same weight through all the sets.

And the other one is to increase the weight progressively as you lower the reps, typical pyramid scheme. I prefer heavier weight on all movements including supersets, so anytime I can increase the weight while still maintaining good form I will go that route. But the real question is what do you prefer ? If your new to super sets and drop sets etc then I would keep the weight constant through the sets as you'll get plenty of stimulation as this is new for you. 

And as far as the soreness goes anytime you start a new training program you're gonna experience some "new" muscle soreness, especially if your doing a new training technique. So it's just that your creating more micro tears in your muscles and they need a little more time to heal but your body will adjust to it as any other training program. 

And yeah as Judy mentioned Blue Heat for horses is an old powerlifting liniment that we've used forever as it works so well for what ever is hurting on your body. And yes it's made for race horses but works great on humans with only minor side effects, occasionally my wife does find me grazing in the yard but aside from that it perfectly fine  🤣 

Keep doing what your doing and you should see good results from super sets for hypertrophy as it's a new stimulus to your body. I've always believed that muscle growth is a by product of moving heavy weight and being strong, the muscle is just a bonus on top of that. Again this is just my opinion on the subject.

But the training program is laid out to build a foundation and then add on top of that foundation by adding weight and progressively going heavier as you move through the phases of the weigh training portion. And what so many people forget when it comes to training is that you just need to lift the amount of weight to get the proper muscle stimulus during a hypertrophy phase...i.e if I could stimulate the muscle with 20 pound dumbbells the same as I could with 170 pound dumbbells then I'd be using the 20 pounders. 

But sounds like your enjoying yourself on the program and that's great to hear.

And another tip on the blue heat, we put it on before we train...shoulders, elbows, bis and tris for upper body days and lower back hams and quads for lower body days. And if you ever end up with tennis or golfers elbow put some blue heat on and then throw a set of neoprene sleeves on and wear them all day if possible as it will keep your bicep flexor warm and let it stretch out and it will feel better.

ReplyQuote
(@christosfl81)
Honorable Member Admin
15/08/2018 5:16 pm  

I totally agree with Max, I shoot for the pyramid scheme. I tend to build my workouts similar to Roberts Intermediate or Advance that has mostly supersets with progressive weight and some hypertrophy towards the end of the workout. 

I, like max, want to go heavy as much as I can so I like the  pyramid scheme. 

I believe you are seeing the weight being the same during the Superset because you may be using his first workout plan.  It’s a good plan, I just prefer the pyramid. I would try it out and see which you like. That’s the fun part to try new programs. 

As @max-havoc mentioned it depends on you and what you like better. Keep killing it!!! Love watching your progress. 

ReplyQuote
AndyC (IG: @TheKetoneKid)
(@ig-theketonekid)
Active Member Enrolled
16/08/2018 5:34 am  

Thank you @christosketo & @max-havoc.  After studying both of your informative replies, I realized I was suffering from a bit of tunnel vision.  Anytime I use my iPhone to track with a program, I can lose sight of the bigger picture.  I was working through beginner this week and didn't step back and see that it was, itself, designed for more hypertrophy (something I have not played with).  I typically use a pyramid scheme with progressive overload on weights.  Regardless, I was able to take something away from both of your replies, I appreciate the time you took to shoot me a few training notes.  

My Best, 

Andy @theketonekid

ReplyQuote
(@christosfl81)
Honorable Member Admin
16/08/2018 5:53 am  

That’s what we are here for!! We all have different experiences, opinions and what works for us. All we can do is give information and hopefully can gather what works for you!! Keep us posted and continue to engage on here and IG!! 

ReplyQuote
Max Havoc
(@max-havoc)
Noble Member Moderator
16/08/2018 8:21 am  

Excellent, glad we could be of some help to you. And the freedom to do what feels the best for each individual is always a great thing.

If we can help you out with anything else let us know and we'll try to get you headed in the right direction.

All the best going forward.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register